Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: When your partner needs support  (Read 1818 times)

Offline littleone

When your partner needs support
« on: November 01, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »
Honestly, I'm worried about my wife. I'm better at calming myself with logical thinking than her. I understand the reasons, but I still don't want her feelings to spiral out of control either.

How did you encourage your partner whose personality was quite different from yourself?

Offline Layla

Re: When your partner needs support
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 05:59:09 AM »
My husband doesn't really talk about his feelings much. Maybe she just needs you to listen to her? Sometimes just expressing the feelings you're feeling helps a lot. I know it does for me. If she's open to it, a therapist could also help her work through what's she going through. Sometimes an objective, nonjudgmental third party can help and provide suggestions our loved ones haven't thought of.

Hang in there!

Offline littleone

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 11:52:05 AM »
Thank you, Layla. I'll try to listen to her more. I always feel like I should actively do something or say something, so I wonder if that's a part of the problem as well. When I ask her about it, I can't help but saying something in return. Do you think we should do it more regularly to help her release the stress?

Offline MomOfTwo

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 02:24:40 AM »
Give her an atmosphere where she can be relaxed and not being judged upon. My sister is somewhat like that because she doesn't tell me anything when she has a problem. I can only sense it and I offer her some tea or cupcake for us to just sit and relax. She gradually opens up her problems to me.

Offline haidyl

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 03:50:19 AM »
Honestly, I'm worried about my wife. I'm better at calming myself with logical thinking than her. I understand the reasons, but I still don't want her feelings to spiral out of control either.

How did you encourage your partner whose personality was quite different from yourself?
We are very different in terms of how we react to situations and unlike my husband who prefers to watch things unfold then think them out later, I am quite erratic. He has learned to let me be in such instances then when everything has calmed down, we both sit down and talk over everything. It helps a lot when your spouse is non-judgemental.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms