Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: (Re-)Building Connections  (Read 1942 times)

Offline horizon

(Re-)Building Connections
« on: April 02, 2018, 02:02:38 AM »
Okay, so... I'm working on my relationships, especially in reaching out to old friends with whom I've lost contact and make some new ones. I just didn't realize how much I lost when I gave everything for my family. The problem is I feel so awkward in everything I do as if I lost my social skills. I wonder if I'm too late for this.

Offline BettyBoop

Re: (Re-)Building Connections
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 05:59:21 AM »
Oh no!  It is never to late to make friends.  Find something you enjoy doing and go from there.  Do you like to read?  Join a book club.  Needlework?  Join a crafting or quilting group.  Do something you like and make friends from there. 

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 05:59:21 AM »

Offline horizon

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »
Thanks, BettyBoop! I hang out with several neighborhood moms once or twice a month to talk about cooking and some other random things. It's just that we don't communicate much outside the gathering. Just saying hi casually when we meet and that's all. It feels too superficial. Maybe because I'm too awkward for this kind of gathering. I'm older by 3-4 years than them.

Offline MagicMindy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:46:01 PM »
I've had the same problems, horizon. I used to be a part of a lot of groups/organizations, but they were relationships that didn't extend much outside of those meetings. It can be hard getting out and being social if you haven't been for a while. It's like riding a bike though. Once you jump in and really commit, your skills will come back to you! I'm sure you haven't lost them as much as you think. We are our own worst critics.

Offline Joann

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:54:25 PM »
It really is never to late to build connections! My best friend at the moment I met only a few years ago after my children left the house. We do everything together now. You're not alone in this, there are plenty of women (and men!) who are in the same boat. I think many of us have given up a social life to raise a family. That's just what we do!

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:54:25 PM »

Offline Marie

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 05:50:40 AM »
It's not too late to make new friends and reconnect with old ones. If you're looking for deeper conversations, you could check out book clubs or see if local churches have any events to attend. Find groups to meet people with similar interests as yours. Once you get to know some of the people in the group, maybe you could approach them and ask if they'd like to do something outside the group. I think a lot of us would love to do things outside groups, but we feel really awkward making the "first move" as it were. The worst someone could say is no. :)

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 05:50:40 AM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms