Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: I'm thinking about getting a job...  (Read 2299 times)

Offline MagicMindy

I'm thinking about getting a job...
« on: March 26, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »
I haven't had a job since I was eighteen. Well, let me clarify, I haven't had a job that I've gotten paid for since I was eighteen. I was a stay-at-home mother and I haven't really even considered going back into the workforce since. I've busied myself with committees, Women's League, and other organizations. However, I've been thinking about getting a part-time job, just for something new to do. Have any of you started a job recently? What are you doing? Are you glad you did?

Offline Moonlight

Re: I'm thinking about getting a job...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 09:07:15 AM »
Now I am doing a food catering service. I do it on a small scale (only for the people around the neighborhood) so I won't get overly busy. That way I still have time for myself and the extra money always helps. Cooking is a passion so I am enjoying this job quite much despite the rough start.

It has been a while since you posted the question, so I wonder if you've found something you like.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 09:07:15 AM »

Offline Berta

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 02:07:04 AM »
Hi there @MagicMindy - did you find a job? I think it's a great idea, as much for the social aspects as for the money earned. I moved to be closer to my daughter and as a hairdresser with long experience found it easy to get a job. BUT I was an assistant after being the boss of a salon before. That didn't sit too well with me. I eventually became a travelling hairdresser and go out to clients who are house-bound due to ill health or child care issues. I work part-time, earn a lot less than before, but love having the contact with other people. It's widened my circles of acquaintances and I've made a couple of good friendships.

Go for it! If you've found a job, let us know.

Offline girlchild34

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 07:14:28 AM »
I have worked in an 8am to 5pm work environment before and I wouldn't want to go back there. I am now fully self-employed and I get the freedom to do a lot of things I wouldn't have managed to do then. I am sure I would have trouble adjusting now.

Offline Gerri

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 04:22:30 AM »
Hi everyone. I am new here but I already see so many of you in the same boat as me. I feel like I need to make myself useful again. I started doing some odd jobs left and right, some paid, some unpaid. I volunteer at a community center in the city (cafeteria), which gives me a lot of fulfilment, because I get to be around people.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 04:22:30 AM »

Offline Katy

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 04:36:14 AM »
While my daughter was growing up, I spent most of my time keeping the house.  I sold cosmetics on the side, but I didn't make it a full-time job.  When my daughter moved out last year, I began to volunteer with a local cat shelter and really love it, though it can be bittersweet at times.  There's an opening at the cat shelter for a part-time adoptions coordinator, and I'm going to apply for that.

I can relate so much to what many of you are saying.  I need something to help me feel useful and productive again.  How are you all doing on the job front?  Have any of you gotten a job since posting here?

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 04:36:14 AM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms