Empty Nest Moms

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Taking care of our Elderly Parent(s) / Re: Traveling for the elderly
« Last post by ava on Today at 05:14:11 AM »
You raise a really good point BettyBoop. It will be pointless to plan everything yet realize that they do not want to go anywhere. Even in such an instance, you can nicely talk to them and probably start with destinations that are not far off.
Our "Precious" Pets who have passed on / Re: Billie is gone
« Last post by ava on Today at 05:05:52 AM »
A friend recently put up a post mourning her dog, painting a picture of how things were no longer the same at home. Many people couldn't understand how losing a pet can actually stress people out. Sorry for your loss, I am sure you have memories of the warmth and good times that Billie filled your household with.
Our Empty Nest Marriage / Re: Encouraging without nagging
« Last post by Mom56 on Yesterday at 08:42:39 PM »
i had a different (got o his heart, i think) approach:  cancer has touched our family;  mil succumbed to breast cancer , after a 2yr remission, at 56;  i could not convince dh to see a dr( after relaying to hm my dr told me that 'yes men can get breast cancer- it's not unheard of, but possible"-they have breast tissue,too)- i told hm ok i'll stop caring about you- i think he realized she cares that much about me

[quote:Kidless We all do that Melee.  It's a vicious cycle.  I have found that if I write down what I need to do in my calendar it stands a better chance of getting done.  Thing like "inspect car" this month or "buy 2 Christmas gifts for family" this month.  It feels good to be able to cross these things off my list and say done.   :13: 

Since you say, "We all do that", I feel a little bit better.
You know the old saying that misery loves company. Lol :039: 

I feel like I know that other people have to make mental or physical notes as continual reminders for them to do certain things, but I also feel like I come across a lot of people who always say, "I made that mistake once, but I didn't make it again."
Or, "All it took for me was one time to (insert mistake here) and I learned my lesson."

Kidless, I totally agree with you about things having a better chance of getting done if they are written down. I find writing things down is an invaluable tool when it comes to my perpetual to-do list. My challenge has always been consolidating all of my to-do lists into one large planner. Whenever I think about something that I want or need to do, I'll write it down right then in one of the many notebooks/small planners that I have placed around my home.  My to-do lists are too spread out.

What I really need to do is designate one place in my home where a large planner can be kept, then discipline myself so that whenever there is something that needs to be written down as a to-do, I have to come to that large planner at that one location and write things down.

Our "Precious" Pets who have passed on / Billie is gone
« Last post by BettyBoop on Yesterday at 06:47:22 AM »
I just had to put my dog Billie down this week.  He had cancer.  He was operated on once but it came back more aggressive than ever.  I will miss him but I know he's not suffering.  Pets just become such a part of the family.  It broke my heart to have to do this.
Some "Fun" things to do.... / Re: Do you still celebrate St. Patrick's Day?
« Last post by BettyBoop on Yesterday at 06:43:29 AM »
No, we don't celebrate St. Patrick's day. To me it's just one of those in between days.  A fun day in between Valentine's day and Easter.  I do think it's fun to see all the green if I'm out and about. 
Taking care of our Elderly Parent(s) / Re: Traveling for the elderly
« Last post by BettyBoop on Yesterday at 06:38:58 AM »
Are you talking about day trips, week long vacations or traveling abroad?  Most places have arrangements for the elderly and handicapped.  When booking a room, make sure it has a walk in shower and an elevator to the floor where the room is located.  I really think the first thing you should do is talk with your parents to see if they want to travel anywhere.  I had the same notion with my mom and come to find out she really did not want to go anywhere.  She was perfectly happy at home. 
Taking care of our Elderly Parent(s) / Traveling for the elderly
« Last post by horizon on March 16, 2018, 11:13:18 PM »
People may feel bored to stay in one place for a long time. My parents were not the traveling type when they were young mostly because they didn't have the time for it, but I hope to change it now. What kind of place do you suggest I should visit? Anything to worry about other than accessibility and food?
Enjoying Your Nest Being Empty? / Re: Learning new things
« Last post by Scatter on March 16, 2018, 10:41:26 PM »
Hi, Blaire. It has been a while since your post. How is it going with your craft business plan? If you think time would not be on your side, isn't that why we should make the best use of it?

I'm practicing homemade crafts/gifts as well as thinking about traveling more. Talk about crazy as a single mom, but I won't lose anything by trying!
Enjoying Your Nest Being Empty? / Re: Offering rooms on Airbnb?
« Last post by Scatter on March 16, 2018, 10:02:48 PM »
It's not easy meeting strangers right in your house, especially those with different languages. I do think it takes time and experience, though. I had stayed at someone's house via Airbnb before and the owner was really nice. She gave me tips about places to visit and transportation. I would offer my house if only I had one close to popular travel spots.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Copyright © Empty Nest Moms