Empty Nest Moms

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Gardening! / Re: Are your veggies and herbs coming in?
« Last post by girlchild34 on Today at 12:25:13 PM »
I can imagine how lucky your neighborhood is, to have such farmers as you. Over the past few years, we have planted many crops but we decided to give it a break this year. We hope to bounce back just as the year comes to an end. I could use a few tips, when that time comes.
Reading and Movies! / A digital book club
« Last post by girlchild34 on Today at 12:22:18 PM »
I have always loved to write and read in equal measure but parenting sort of slowed me down. I have been trying to read at least a book each month. Just recently, I stumbled upon a book club, that exists purely online. There are various forums where people read and discuss various books. I am glad because this is exactly what I have been looking for.
Reading and Movies! / Re: The Noteboook
« Last post by girlchild34 on Today at 12:00:40 PM »
I have not watched this movie before but I have just checked online and indeed, it looks like something worth my time. I love stories that center around love and overcoming the challenges that come with it. When did you ever watch it first?
Our Empty Nest / Re: How should we prepare?
« Last post by Guineagirl on Today at 06:26:14 AM »
Hi David,

Iím glad my post wasnít insensitive I worried it came over like that, thatís the trouble with keyboards.  Your daughter sounds like mine, independant and canít wait to do things.  Believe me,  she will miss you.  My daughter did very much and after three months had a meltdown and we had to go get her and bring her home six hour journey just to spend time with us and her old room.  After two and a half years she still lives where she does but we visit every month still and she comes here.  She sounds like sheíll miss you very much.  She will call believe me even just to hear you.  She will need advice and help with even basic things like how long to cook something etc and ven just to rant.  I love the rants as it honestly makes me feel useful.  Ask her before she goes can we text etc as I did.  Your wife will be busy at the moment preparing your daughter but itís the reality of the room empty and the chatting that we miss.  Best thing is though if you feel upset I mean when itís you and your wife be upset donít bottle it up it makes you ill.  One thing I did was when my daughter Skype when she moved I told her I missed her she said me two but she knew that we did then.  I think your daughter sounds like she loves you very much and one day will be pleased you raised her like I so sh has confidence in herself x
Our Empty Nest / Re: Still sad
« Last post by Guineagirl on Today at 06:17:12 AM »
Mom of Two so right.  We have to balance that with leaving them to get on with their life and not seeming needy. Sometimes itís like walking on egg shells,  You sound like a lovely Mum to think that by the way x
Reading and Movies! / The Noteboook
« Last post by MomOfTwo on Today at 04:56:00 AM »
Have you watched this movie before? I love this film a lot that I can't remember how many times I've watched it. We will let our visitors, who will sleep in the house, to watch it. It is really hard for me to keep quiet so I cover my mouth while I'm watching this film.
Join your husband to what he likes to do. Even trying to have an interest in what our husbands are doing will make them talk. However, as girlchild said, we must know how to balance it because when we push our husbands too hard, then they might totally shut down.
Our Empty Nest / Re: Still sad
« Last post by MomOfTwo on Today at 04:46:09 AM »
Many people say that time heals everything. I beg to differ because it is truly hard to let go of our children whom we took care of. We surely want to see our children as often as possible, but we have to respect their independence no matter how much we miss them.
Our Empty Nest / Re: How should we prepare?
« Last post by David on Yesterday at 11:34:46 PM »
What helped was Skype, texting, calling and helping with any problems she had.  Knowing they can call anytime really helps them settle in.  We plan our next visit when we see her and vice versa, that has really helped.
Hello, Guineagirl.  Thank you for the warm welcome!  Don't apologize for your long post.  It's full of helpful information and I appreciate your taking the time to help.

So, how do I get my daughter to Skype, text, and visit us because I don't believe she's going to miss us one bit.  I'm close to my kiddo and I know she loves us, but she's outgoing, adventurous, and makes friends quickly.  I don't believe she'll have any problems settling in. I'm terrified that we'll rarely hear from her. 

I lurked here for ages before joining because I thought it might be for mothers and other women.  I asked the owner if fathers were welcome and she encouraged me to join and to participate.  My wife isn't worried about our daughter leaving- YET.  Right now she's in her mother hen mode.  She's helping our daughter gather everything she needs and culling her items down to the necessities because she'll be living in a tiny dorm room.  But I'm thinking ahead.  We're both going to worry to death when our daughter eaves.  I'm hoping to mitigate what I can so we don't become weeping zombies. 
Gardening! / Re: Are your veggies and herbs coming in?
« Last post by David on Yesterday at 10:53:06 PM »
It sounds like you've both had a great summer garden.  Our garden was a bust this year due to lack of rain and too much heat.  Even the berries on our blackberry bushes are sparse.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Copyright © Empty Nest Moms