Empty Nest Moms

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Our "Later Years"...What we've learned as we've aged / Re: Learn to accept
« Last post by MaryB on June 05, 2021, 09:11:08 AM »
Sometimes I think if I would have stuck with the furbabies I wouldnt be as so torn as I am, but losing them has piled hurt on too, and they never live long enough.  :(   They love us in ways our birth children cant even imagine.
I am glad you have your doxies.  They are so so cute! 

Every Day Conversations / Hello June 2021
« Last post by MaryB on June 05, 2021, 08:48:25 AM »
Hello Everyone.    I know I missed Jeanine's bday, and hope she is well and had a good Birthday?
Are you missing "Your" Parents? / Re: Birthdays are the hardest
« Last post by Bandeodell on June 05, 2021, 03:00:31 AM »
My boy is leaving for college at fifteen years old. I am only 40 and he is my only child... Three years ago I lost my papa (grandpa... More like my dad)... My son is named after him and he was my hero... My John wayne... If You will... He left for heaven on 2/3/18 but what's worse is that his birthday is five days after mine and his birth date is 12/25... Christmas... I'll never be the same... And now the guy who got me thru his loss is gone...idk how to get thru this much less Christmas without my best friends. Lost and very much alone. He's going to medical school so early graduation was a big perk but I didn't know this was going to happen and seeing the good in it for him I failed to see the loss I would feel...I thought I'd be able to be his mom another few years... God help me.
Your Life After the Nest has Emptied: How is it? / Empty nester in the time of coronavirus
« Last post by Karen1 on September 24, 2020, 05:27:35 PM »
Hi, new to this site but just wondering if these forums are still updated? All of the posts I've seen are from 2019.  About me:  new empty nester single mom of an only daughter who just moved to college 3 weeks ago.  I am working from home full time now due to covid and alone most days, which is not helping.  I was waiting until she was out of the house to start dating again but due to covid that is also not happening right now.  Anyone out there with a similar experience?  I feel like becoming an empty nester in this time of covid and isolation is a double whammy.
Our Empty Nest Marriage / Getting the Romance Back
« Last post by dgkramer on June 20, 2020, 01:44:25 AM »
It seems like a lot of women had a similar experience to mine when my kids both left.  I felt like my husband and I were strangers, even though we'd been married forever. We're doing much better now and I'm creating a journal to help other women get some romance back in their empty nests like I did.

Would anyone be interested in taking a look at what I've done and giving me some feedback? I'd love to send 4 or 5 of you a copy of the text (it isn't published yet, so it would just be an email pdf) and see how helpful you think it is. I'd be very grateful for any comments (or testimonials, if you like it!)

My name is Dorine and you can PM me directly by clicking on the little chat icon on the left. Be sure to include your email, or I can't send you anything!
Our Empty Nest / Re: broke down while i was working
« Last post by Elizabeth on June 17, 2020, 05:08:28 PM »
Hi Snowflake, I'm getting in on this conversation late but hope you are doing better? Sounds like you have some great kids. Is your son still at home now since he turned 18? Does he have plans to go on to college? It does sound like ya'll are really close.

Hope you are feeling better and if you need to 'talk' this is a good place to come to for that. Kinda helps sometimes to just let thngs out.

Take care and hope to hear back from you soon :big hug smiley sign:
Staying Healthy As We Age! / Corvid-19!!
« Last post by Elizabeth on June 17, 2020, 04:59:37 PM »
Well  it's been a while since I have been here and looks like the same for others! We've been pretty much staying at home since this virus thing started but have recently started to go out again.

Was just wondering how everyone here has been handling all this? Hope everyone has been safe and taking care of yourselfs?

What are some of your thoughts on how it has all been handled (without getting political, of course! For Jeanine's sake!)

Looking forward to hearing form some of you soon! And Take Care!  :039:
« Last post by SadMommy on April 10, 2020, 12:15:31 AM »
Hello Snowflake,

I'm sorry that I haven't been on the site lately since there isn't much activity.  I'm so sorry that you are going though this and hope you are feeling better today. 

I understand how hard this process is to go through!  If you need still need someone to talk to, I'm here for you!

« Last post by JoanK on March 02, 2020, 07:26:14 PM »
Hi, snowflake.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time anticipating your son's leaving home in a couple of months.  I know that feeling so well, especially being unable to stop the tears from flowing around others.  You've painted such a sweet picture with your words of the loving relationship you have with your son.  I wish him well in his new surroundings.  Maybe he won't be as much of a loner once he begins interacting with others.  As much as we enjoy having our kids home and doing things for them, it's also a good feeling when we see them facing the world themselves and learning how to do all those things we did for them throughout their lives.  I think I felt worse anticipating my sons' moves late last summer (the younger one starting college and the older one moving to another state) than when they were actually gone.  I do think about them throughout the day and worry about them a lot, but I am better than I was when I knew it was coming.  It's hard when they're home for holidays and special occasions and then leave, and it does take a few days for the sadness to pass, but it eventually eases up.  Is your son moving far from home?  How often will you be able to see him?  I'm also sorry you have no one in your life to talk to about your feelings, not even your spouse. 
Our Empty Nest / broke down while i was working
« Last post by snowflake on February 19, 2020, 07:19:53 PM »
February 19, 2020 - I am a newbie here. I am a "To-Be" empty nest mom this upcoming May 2020.

I broke down (by crying) while I was working at my desk which I had to leave asap after my boss approved. As an employee I have to act professional. I am an office tech.

I am 44 years old, married. My 3 kids are ages daughter age 23,  daughter age 18, and son age 17. My last child has a learning disability. Autism. He will be joining with a new young adult program specialized in managing autistic people on independent living.

You see, my other kids - a daughter, 23 is fully independent on her own, and other daughter, 18 are already "on their own". The 18 year old daughter is still at home busy with her job and schooling, but the 17 year old son is my last baby. Both daughters are not autistic. My son is.

The two older kids are somewhat more independent of themselves and I often did not have to deal much with them so my strength of relationship status is lesser with them. As for my youngest who is 17 (to be 18) this May 2020. I have had more bonding time with my last baby. I was able to spend more time with my last baby on many things such as playing games, biking together, going shopping, watching movies etc. I was able to relax more with this child rather than with two other older children.

My last baby never really asked for stuff. He would ask for things like candy, chips, drinks but I did buy on what he needed such as clothes, socks, and whenever I would request my last baby to do his chore which was doing the dishwashing in the kitchen. My son would just do it without complaint. He often does his chore without me asking him. I would just surprise him with a dollar bill or a candy bar. I loved seeing the light in his surprised face and his gratitude.

My son is a loner. He does not have any friends. My son is into Pokemon, video games and robot building. He also enjoyed doing gardening. When he was younger he had this habit of running to me and hugging me saying Hello every time I came home from work.

Now you see, I have no friends, no family, no support to share my grief. My parents are deceased. My siblings are distant. I really could not share this with my spouse because it hurts too much to really talk with my spouse.

I felt that my son (my last baby) is one of those people who really "bonded" with me regardless how his learning disability is, it is the character, the person, the personality. I don't know how I will be when he turns 18 this May 2020. I probably will be a wreck. I probably will be a brave mom. That is what I hope for. Courage. Yet I couldnt stop my own tears.

So that is why I decided to join here at the emptynestmoms forum founded by Jeanine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Copyright © Empty Nest Moms