Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Halloween Making Me Sad  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Elise

Halloween Making Me Sad
« on: October 04, 2019, 05:09:22 AM »
This might sound a little silly, but the Halloween season is actually making me sad this year. My son and I always had fun decorating our house, making it spooky for all the neighborhood trick-or-treaters. We used to go to haunted houses and to the corn maze every year. It was our special mom-son bonding time. Of course, he did these things with his friends, too, but we always made it a point to do some of these fun things together each year, and I'm already missing that. I haven't had the heart to start decking out the house yet, and I'm not even sure I will this year.

Empty Nest Moms

Halloween Making Me Sad
« on: October 04, 2019, 05:09:22 AM »

Offline JoanK

Re: Halloween Making Me Sad
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 08:43:09 PM »
It doesn't sound silly at all!  Just today, I brought up the outside Christmas lights (crazy, huh!).  I usually put them up during October, before it gets cold, and turn them on Thanksgiving night.  I was thinking the same as you, that my heart won't be into the holidays this year because it's just the two of us now.  My older son especially loved the tree up early.  I know it's sad that Halloween isn't like before, but I'll bet you and your son gave the neighborhood kids lots of "spooky" memories, and they'd probably miss your decorations.  I'm going to do less from now on.  You can always just put out a few things if you don't feel like doing a lot.

Offline SadMommy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 12:38:41 AM »
I totally agree. I pulled out our decorations and put up some but I'm definitely not putting all of them up.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 12:38:41 AM »

Offline FeelingBetter

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »
Well I don't think it sounds silly at all. Even though I have pretty much started to enjoy my empty nest the holidays always bring back those childhood memories. Just can't help it. Although I do think it is very normal to have those feelings as long as you don't let them consume you!

Offline Elise

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »
Thank you, everyone. I feel a lot better knowing that I am not alone!

Maybe I'll just put a few things out this year. I know it won't be the same, but I do love seeing all the kids in the neighborhood come by all dressed up.

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »
I'm with you FeelingBetter, I'm pretty much through the empty nest phase but those holidays......they can be a real memory trigger for me! But, you get through them, one at a time.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »

Offline JoanK

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »
Elise, I also feel better when I read that others here share some of my feelings.  Your post especially came at the right time, since it was a melancholy day for me too. 

Offline SadMommy

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 10:29:48 AM »
I had a hard time with Halloween this year.  My daughters and a few of their friends came over for a small party.  But the whole day/evening, I just felt sad.

Offline JoanK

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »
Maybe you felt sad because, although you loved having your house full of life again, you kept thinking how the house would once again become quiet and empty again as soon as everyone left?  I've been thinking that's how I'm going to feel over the holidays.  Also, this was your first Halloween without your daughters living home; maybe next year will be a little easier for you.  xo

Offline cjp

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »

Hi ladies, I'm new here and this post caught my eye as Halloween was always a big deal around here and I sure miss it! Our oldest son is just finishing college and will be moving a longer distance away and our daughter just started college this year. They both always had parties this time of year and all their friends dressed up. It was always a happy time.

I'm doing my best to get busy with other stuff but it gets hard at times. You always think you will be ready for this time but it still hits you kinda hard, especially when your last one leaves!

I'm going to be reading a lot of the post here as it looks like there are a lot of other moms that have felt the same at times.  :039:

Offline SadMommy

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »

They both always had parties this time of year and all their friends dressed up. It was always a happy time.

I'm doing my best to get busy with other stuff but it gets hard at times. You always think you will be ready for this time but it still hits you kinda hard, especially when your last one leaves!

We always had a party with their friends and some of the parents. This year it was only my daughters and three others. I didn't mind the smaller group, but I still just felt depressed.

It's definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be.  I knew I would be sad at times, but I didn't know I would feel so empty and depressed.  I guess I feel like part of me is missing.

Offline JoanK

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 01:26:44 PM »

Hi ladies, I'm new here and this post caught my eye as Halloween was always a big deal around here and I sure miss it! Our oldest son is just finishing college and will be moving a longer distance away and our daughter just started college this year. They both always had parties this time of year and all their friends dressed up. It was always a happy time.

I'm going to be reading a lot of the post here as it looks like there are a lot of other moms that have felt the same at times.  :039:
:051bye: I know what you mean about thinking you'll be ready.  Both my sons moved out within a couple weeks of each other (one for a new job two hours away and the other one to start college), and I hadn't been so low and cried so much in many years.  It totally blindsided me.  For me, it was harder to adjust to my older son moving out because it's permanent, whereas I'd been through college with him before, and so I knew I could look forward to my younger son being home on breaks and for the summer.  Still, I haven't gotten used to the house being so empty.  Is your son moving within driving distance? 

Offline cjp

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 05:25:44 PM »

Thanks for your response ladies. Hope you are feeling better SadMommy.

Yes JoanK our son will be within driving distance but almost 3 1/2 hours but doable! Hopefully he will be able to make it home for visits as often as is possible for him. Also for us to go visit him.

So many changes you have to get use to as the kids grow up!

Offline nvgt16

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
My kids have been out of the house for about 6 years now and they moved far away, one is now in France with her rather new husband, I'm actually going to be a grandma for the 1st time next June! As my kids moved away, I moved from the northeast to Florida hard to believe about 2 years ago. All of my kids stuff came with me including containers of decorations. I actually was ready to let my kids take some for their new homes, it was bittersweet but especially for my daughter so far away, she gets to bring home with her to her new home. It was so cool and heartwarming to see our decorations in her new home. It's funny kind of because I'll start looking for some pieces, can't find them, and then I look back at the photos of my kids homes and there are the decorations that they grew up with!. I moved into a 55+ neighborhood when I first moved down here but haven't been happy so I'm closing on a brand new townhouse on the 27th and it's in a regular neighborhood so hopefully there will be some kids who will do trick or treating next Halloween! Right now I'm pretty much all packed up so sadly the majority of my Xmas decorations are somewhere packed up too. But I'm going to celebrate Xmas starting on the 27th! I'm single and I'll be in the middle of school vacation so I can do what I want and I don't want to miss celebrating Xmas. I had hoped that I could move in on the 23rd but the builder isn't letting that happen, very sad but I'm just going to enjoy Xmas after. Holidays are an adjustment so I've found that I can just enjoy the day for what it is or I can try and learn to go with the flow and try something new. For me, I'll be busy unpacking many, many boxes to keep my mind busy!

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms