Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: empty nester in one week  (Read 2022 times)

Offline dawne

empty nester in one week
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »
Hi, :sign0144:

I'm new to this board so not sure if posting in right forum.   My daughter is moving out this Friday for college.   I don't want to be the crying one, the one who is lost and does not know what to do with herself but sadly I feel I am moving in that direction.   She is my husbands and I only daughter and I don't know how I'm going to handle it.  I'm sick to my stomach already and weepy.   She is an awesome person and sometimes I think of her as a friend.   I just don't know what I'm going to do or be without her.   I'm afraid I won't be able to cope without her.   I know it's normal to be sad but what if I don't adjust? I do work which will help but I will be all by myself every morning getting ready without her and I know that is going to be hard for me.  can anyone give me some uplifting advice?
thanks for being here
Dawne

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
Re: empty nester in one week
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 03:14:39 PM »
Hi Dawne, welcome to ENMoms! Sounds like you will be ok but do give yourself a little breathing room those first few weeks to adjust. Being busy with your job will help. How far is your daughter going away to school? I know she will need to get settled in but can you plan visits? With all the ways we have of communicating these days I'm sure ya'll will be able to stay in touch to help in the beginning.

Feel free to come here and 'talk' any time you feel the need. Many have been through the same and managed to make it through!

:grouphugsign: :grouphugsign:

Offline dawne

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
Thanks for replying!  I know I will get through this but shouldn't give myself a timeline.   She is only 25 minutes away! But the fact that She will not be in this home anymore is the hardest.  Just getting up for work by myself will be probably the worst of it.  If anyone has gone through this already, felt like I do and got through it I would love to hear from you

Thank you everyone!
Dawne :engel016:

Offline FeelingBetter

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 05:38:27 PM »
Hang in there Dawne! You will get through it with time and it's nice that she is only 25 minutes away! Hope you get to visit often. Keep us posted on how you are doing.  :039:

Offline dawne

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 06:20:05 PM »
Thanks so much!  I’ll keep you updated
Dawne👍

Offline FeelingBetter

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 01:24:04 PM »
Hi Dawne.....so how are you doing? Did your daughter get settled in school? Hope you are handling things ok. Hopefully only being 25 minutes away will help in the long run. Update us when you can and take care!

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 06:25:11 PM »
Hey Dawne, well how did it go? Did you handle it all well? Hope you are doing ok and hopefully with her only being just a little bit away from you you'll be able to stay in touch often? Pop in and give us an update when possible.  :039:

Offline dawne

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 08:11:41 PM »
Hi,
My daughter is all settled in and loves it. no problems at all.   She has made friends and is very happy.    I know she is only 20 or so minutes away but I still feel so lonely without her in the house.  I am married so I'm not completely alone and I start a new job tomorrow at a public integrated preschool.    I think once I get comfortable at work, hopefully I won't feel so lonely.   It's like a piece of me is missing.   I'm trying to think of it a different way.  I'm trying to think of it as a new chapter in my life and I can write it any way I want.   I do journal so that does help.   I am so happy for her because she is doing exactly what she wants, but maybe it is time for me now.  Maybe it is time to spread my wings, but I don't know how and I'm afraid but don't know why.  I have gone through a lot in life, and I kind of feel like I don't deserve to be happy.   Does anyone else feel like this?  Wish I knew why I feel like this- and yes, I go to counseling which is the best decision I ever made.

I guess eventually my heart will heal, but everyone heals at a different pace.   Thank you for asking how I'm doing!  I hope you all are doing well.
Dawne

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms