Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Inherited Parent Traits  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Olive

Inherited Parent Traits
« on: July 10, 2019, 10:39:59 AM »
I heard a few comments from older friends of ours like; "You reminded me of your mom" or "You are just like your mom". I find it annoying at times because those comments are in line with my negative traits. I wish they would just keep those comments to themselves.

Offline adanna

Re: Inherited Parent Traits
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 12:48:36 PM »
Oh yeah... I can totally relate. I guess maybe they don't know their comments are that hurtful or they just say whatever comes to their mind.

Offline cherie

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 03:31:06 AM »
I heard a few comments from older friends of ours like; "You reminded me of your mom" or "You are just like your mom". I find it annoying at times because those comments are in line with my negative traits. I wish they would just keep those comments to themselves.
Well, I think it is best to respond to such people when they make such comments. I have realized that it is easier when you speak out and let people know how you feel.

Offline Elise

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 01:12:18 AM »
Maybe they are trying to be humorous when they say things like that, but they don't realize that their comments are actually hurtful. If it bothers you, maybe you can let them know that. Your friends won't find any enjoyment out of hurting your feelings.

Offline EllieM

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 01:31:48 AM »
It is funny because I recognize a lot of my mom in my daughter, not myself. They were very close so I think that's where that came from. I was more like my dad; reserved, quiet and just happy with the simple things in life.

Offline adelyn

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 04:48:57 AM »
Maybe they are trying to be humorous when they say things like that, but they don't realize that their comments are actually hurtful. If it bothers you, maybe you can let them know that. Your friends won't find any enjoyment out of hurting your feelings.
I agree that they probably don't mean for those words to be hurtful. If you can't let them know that their words hurt you, then let them elaborate when they tell you these same things, next time.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms