Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Shoulder pain  (Read 3211 times)

Offline littleone

Shoulder pain
« on: July 03, 2019, 11:48:19 AM »
I have pain on my right shoulder for a little over a month. It's not really bad for normal activities, but I can't lift my arm too high or extend it too suddenly. Going to the doctor sounds a little scary now as I've never had any serious health issue this far, though I guess I should, right? Do you have some tips on how to make the pain more bearable?

Offline MaryB

Re: Shoulder pain
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »
Dont move it!  I know that sounds to simple but it's true.  If you can use a sling or something to help you not move it that will give it a chance to heal.  It may help!  Good luck!

Offline littleone

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 11:05:47 PM »
Dont move it!  I know that sounds to simple but it's true.  If you can use a sling or something to help you not move it that will give it a chance to heal.  It may help!  Good luck!
Thank you, Mary, though I think that's going to be hard. It's my right shoulder/arm, which is my dominant side, so I use it a lot. I do avoid lifting heavy things, but sometimes I forget I shouldn't stretch it so high to grab some tissues in the toilet. How long do I have to keep the sling if I get one?

Offline MaryB

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 02:44:26 PM »
You're welcome littleone.  How long is depending on when the problem heals.  You know what else may help is therapy. It is amazing how therapy fixes a lot without surgery!  :big hug smiley sign:

Offline littleone

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 06:23:10 AM »
My friends also recommended physical therapy for me. I wonder if it's something that I can do at home by myself as I probably have to do it for a long period.

Have you ever gone through it yourself?

Offline noodle

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
I have a sore shoulder, too! The pain started in April after I got intense and stressed about house cleaning. I try using my other (left) side more and take a daily ibuprofen dose. It's better now but would heal faster if, like @MaryB mentioned, I totally stop using it. I like the therapy suggestion.

Offline littleone

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 03:02:57 AM »
I have a sore shoulder, too! The pain started in April after I got intense and stressed about house cleaning. I try using my other (left) side more and take a daily ibuprofen dose. It's better now but would heal faster if, like @MaryB mentioned, I totally stop using it. I like the therapy suggestion.
Is it okay for you to take ibuprofen every day? Did you go to a doctor to have the shoulder checked? I finally went to see a doctor, and he told me that I probably had a chronic inflammation on the joint and muscles. He also recommended physical therapy since it's been quite long since the symptoms first appeared.

Offline Olive

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »
How about going to a chiropractor to realign the joint or the inflamed part? You could also see a physical therapist who is a chiropractor at the same time so you won't spend money on two treatments.

Offline noodle

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 03:21:52 PM »
Is it okay for you to take ibuprofen every day? Did you go to a doctor to have the shoulder checked?
I'm taking two tablets a day, but sometimes I skip a day when the shoulder feels semi-normal. I know I should see a doctor soon. Update on how therapy goes!

Offline littleone

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 11:06:42 AM »
How about going to a chiropractor to realign the joint or the inflamed part? You could also see a physical therapist who is a chiropractor at the same time so you won't spend money on two treatments.
Don't chiropractors work on the spine? I don't think they can help with my shoulder pain.

Anyway, I ended up going to a therapist three days ago. He suggested that I went for the treatment at least twice a week. I had a session with an ultrasound machine and another with electric therapy. I don't feel much better yet at this point, but I'll try going in a few times to see how it works.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms