Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Failure As A Mother  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Olive

Failure As A Mother
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »
Can you help me with how I can help my friend? She told me today that she felt like she failed as a mother because her teenage son doesn't listen to her any longer. What would you advise her if you were in my place?

Empty Nest Moms

Failure As A Mother
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »

Offline MaryB

Re: Failure As A Mother
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 08:33:30 PM »
Hi Olive.  That is so sad to me because I've been there, blaming myself for my son's estrangement.  Ashamed to hold my head up in public.  It took my loved ones that seen how my son was raised to pull me out of it, reminding me that he was raised right but made bad decisions.  As far as your friend goes, it seems so normal for teens to rebel and she needs reminded of that.  You are a good friend, you remind her. 
Good luck
-hugs

Offline Olive

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 09:13:32 PM »
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, MaryB. She is a good friend, I can vouch for that. I also know that her son's decisions were not because of how she brought him up. His choice of friends was the cause of why he became rebellious.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 09:13:32 PM »

Offline Layla

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 02:47:28 AM »
We all make mistakes as parents, but I'm sure your friend is a good mom. Teenagers are tough. They're trying to assert their independence. They just want to live the way they want to live, and that often doesn't jive with being responsible. She has to remember that she is the parent and she has more experience in life. Remind her that she wants the best for him and that him not listening is part of being a teenager. I hope they get through it okay. The teen years are the worst!

Offline cherie

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »
Teen years are challenging and while your friend has the right to question what could have gone wrong, it is also tine for her to stamp her authority and have a candid conversation with the boy. Could it also be that the teenager needs to speak and open up to someone neutral? Maybe he is just being rebellious while also seeking to pass a message.

Offline MomOfTwo

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:17:33 AM »
Based on my experience with my boys, they do things that are different from what I think is right because they wanted to test the waters, so to speak. Teenagers are different, but one thing in common that I notice is that they do the opposite of what we tell them. What I did with my boys was to ask them why they did the things they were doing instead of saying that they shouldn't do it. This will open up a door for communication instead of closing one.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:17:33 AM »

Offline Olive

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 09:57:13 AM »
I had a talk with my friend just now, she just left the house actually. I mentioned all the positive support you said here. I even told her to join us here so she won't have to keep her thoughts and emotions for herself.

Thank you all because she received your kind words with gladness.

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
You know I used to say that when the kids hit around thirteen everyone should 'exchange' kids until they hit around 20 or so! :)

Seems you always heard how really nice and polite 'your' child was or how you thought someone else's was the same. They always mind when they are at your house  (and I guess your own did the same when over at their friends house or at school).

So really when kids hit their teens they seem to turn into a different child! Doesn't mean you haven't done things right it just means mostly that they get a mind of their own and seem to think they know more than you.

I would just tell  your friend not to fret about it too much unless he gets really unruly. You do the best you can and hope the child picks up on some of the good.

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 02:33:54 PM »
That theory is cute Elizabeth! Sounds soooo true too. Everytime I heard a teacher or another parent talk about how polite and mannerly one of my kids were I'd say, "Excuse me?"  :) :)  Guess it means you're doing something right if they behave themselves at their friends homes or school.

Seriously though, the teens are hard years so you just do the best you can and hope for the best. 

Offline cherie

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 05:13:49 AM »
This is a really lively discussion and I have picked very important lessons from this thread. Olive, thanks for being there for your friend and I'm sure she left your house a better person. Teenage years can be the most challenging and it is useful to have that open-door policy, in terms of communication channels.

Offline Olive

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 11:29:28 AM »
Parents are praised for children behaving properly outside their homes. The opposite is true because parents also take the blame when their children become unruly even when it is not their fault why their children misbehaved. This was the case with my friend, and I'm glad to know that most parents, if not all, undergo this teenage problem with their children.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 11:29:28 AM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms