Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Realisation  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Vanessa

Realisation
« on: May 24, 2019, 03:56:09 PM »
When my daughter left, it made me realize how hard it was for my parents when I left. It was even harder than it is for parents now, because there were no smartphones, no video calls, etc. But sometimes I just feel sad about how they missed me at the time and how much I miss them now. I wish I could tell them I understand.

Offline Guineagirl

Re: Realisation
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 07:40:03 AM »
When my daughter left, it made me realize how hard it was for my parents when I left. It was even harder than it is for parents now, because there were no smartphones, no video calls, etc. But sometimes I just feel sad about how they missed me at the time and how much I miss them now. I wish I could tell them I understand.
Hi Vanessa,

Great post.  I’ve wrote about this before, it’s very sad.  Imagine like you say no texts, video chat just a land line.  I also think that today imagine how much more homesick they would be without all this technology.  I understand what you mean I don’t think I was a thoughtful daughter really I got on with things and I recall my Mam hiding her feelings when I left.  I wish she had hugged me but never did a few years after I left Dad died of a heart attack she must of felt so lonely too but just didn’t think.  I suppose it makes us think about our kids leaving now.  My mam died three years ago so I can’t even say anything now.  Are your parents with you still?  X

Offline Vanessa

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »
Unfortunately they are not. That's why I keep thinking, I wish I could tell them I know now what's it like. For many things, my mom used to say I will only understand once I have my child and all the same things happen, and it's really true - this is one of those things. It gets so hard even though it's easier than it was for my parents. They tried to hide it but I understood even then partially, and now completely.

Offline Olive

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 10:52:08 PM »
My mother told me many times that I'm her little baby no matter how old I am. It sounded cheesy when I was a teenager, but now I understand a bit of what she said to me. I also wish I can tell her how much I miss her.

Offline Guineagirl

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
My mother told me many times that I'm her little baby no matter how old I am. It sounded cheesy when I was a teenager, but now I understand a bit of what she said to me. I also wish I can tell her how much I miss her.

I will try to find an image I found on google.  It depicts what you mean of a child with a big suitcase on a road. As we see them when they leave home, I cried when I saw it, it was very true x

Offline Guineagirl

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »
Unfortunately they are not. That's why I keep thinking, I wish I could tell them I know now what's it like. For many things, my mom used to say I will only understand once I have my child and all the same things happen, and it's really true - this is one of those things. It gets so hard even though it's easier than it was for my parents. They tried to hide it but I understood even then partially, and now completely.

Same here Vanessa.  I hide it too but also say it’s quiet here when she leaves from visiting.  I think hiding it too much isn’t good, they need to know we miss them too don’t they

Offline haidyl

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 04:24:04 PM »
It was much harder to keep in touch then than it is now and I remember my mother letting me know that she was truly going to miss me while I was away. I recall hugging her and promising to visit every so often but it was until my eldest child left for college that I truly related to how difficult that moment can be.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms