Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Birthdays are the hardest  (Read 89 times)

Offline mkendrick

Birthdays are the hardest
« on: March 05, 2019, 03:38:36 AM »
My mother's birthday passed over the weekend. I find that day every year to be the hardest for me. We weren't really that close which I guess makes it worse. I think it is the toughest day of the year because it would normally have been a day we celebrated her life, but now it is a grim reminder that she is not around anymore. I wish I had been closer to her when I had the chance.

Offline noodle

Re: Birthdays are the hardest
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 01:20:49 PM »
@mkendrick, that's a nice post. I know what you mean. I grew up in a family that didn't throw parties, but we sent birthday wishes. When my late father's birthday comes around, I think of the one time I forgot to send a card or call. He wasn't the type who would care about that, but I'm still sorry that I didn't make more effort.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 03:00:46 PM »
It hurts because it is a reminder to us that we dont have them anymore.   :(

Offline mkendrick

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 12:55:54 AM »
Thanks everyone. We didn't throw parties either. I remember one party when I was a kid that my Mother threw for me and a handful of "milestone" birthday celebrations for my Mother as she hit 50, 60, 70, etc. Even during the celebration event ones it was a small gathering of family and we shared dinner and talked but nothing too fancy.  It certainly does hurt as a reminder of the loss. Makes me wish we had celebrated more.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms