Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Missing a Connection with My Dad  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Layla

Missing a Connection with My Dad
« on: March 07, 2019, 07:12:49 AM »
My dad had knee surgery recently. My Mom is doing a great job of taking care of him, but I've been going over every two or three days to pitch in with the household chores.

My dad and I have never been very close. He worked a lot of overtime, so I ended up spending a lot of evenings with my mom growing up.

I wish we had a better and closer relationship. A part of me had hoped that this surgery would give us time to spend together and become a bit closer. But every time I sit down to try to connect with him, he's more interested in watching the television than talking. I'll ask him how he's doing or about the show he's watching, and he only says a few words. He doesn't really reciprocate in our conversation.

I'm saddened that we aren't closer, and I'm worried that we'll never have the kind of relationship I'd love to have with my dad.

Offline MaryB

Re: Missing a Connection with My Dad
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 08:18:20 AM »
Shoot, that's me and my husband.  Some men dont want talk or closeness. Is your dad different with your mom?

Offline vivie

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:17 PM »
That's a really difficult situation you find yourself in because as someone's daughter, you expect your dad to initiate most of the conversation but sadly, that's not always the case. For now, being there for him is already good enough. Try to sit and talk with him more often and even when he says a few words, I am sure he appreciates your company.

Offline Vanessa

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:39:21 AM »
I know this is very hard for you, but keep in mind that his current state might be holding him back when it comes to communication. I had a surgery after which I had to be taken care of and it was very depressing for me, I didn't really feel like communicating. Maybe you should try when he's feeling better.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms