Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Birthdays are the hardest  (Read 3344 times)

Offline mkendrick

Birthdays are the hardest
« on: March 05, 2019, 03:38:36 AM »
My mother's birthday passed over the weekend. I find that day every year to be the hardest for me. We weren't really that close which I guess makes it worse. I think it is the toughest day of the year because it would normally have been a day we celebrated her life, but now it is a grim reminder that she is not around anymore. I wish I had been closer to her when I had the chance.

Offline noodle

Re: Birthdays are the hardest
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 01:20:49 PM »
@mkendrick, that's a nice post. I know what you mean. I grew up in a family that didn't throw parties, but we sent birthday wishes. When my late father's birthday comes around, I think of the one time I forgot to send a card or call. He wasn't the type who would care about that, but I'm still sorry that I didn't make more effort.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 03:00:46 PM »
It hurts because it is a reminder to us that we dont have them anymore.   :(

Offline mkendrick

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 12:55:54 AM »
Thanks everyone. We didn't throw parties either. I remember one party when I was a kid that my Mother threw for me and a handful of "milestone" birthday celebrations for my Mother as she hit 50, 60, 70, etc. Even during the celebration event ones it was a small gathering of family and we shared dinner and talked but nothing too fancy.  It certainly does hurt as a reminder of the loss. Makes me wish we had celebrated more.

Offline Bandeodell

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 03:00:31 AM »
My boy is leaving for college at fifteen years old. I am only 40 and he is my only child... Three years ago I lost my papa (grandpa... More like my dad)... My son is named after him and he was my hero... My John wayne... If You will... He left for heaven on 2/3/18 but what's worse is that his birthday is five days after mine and his birth date is 12/25... Christmas... I'll never be the same... And now the guy who got me thru his loss is gone...idk how to get thru this much less Christmas without my best friends. Lost and very much alone. He's going to medical school so early graduation was a big perk but I didn't know this was going to happen and seeing the good in it for him I failed to see the loss I would feel...I thought I'd be able to be his mom another few years... God help me.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms