Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Holidays are tough  (Read 1852 times)

Offline EmilyJ.

Holidays are tough
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:23:34 AM »
 Some people really shy away from hearing about sad stuff, especially around the holidays when you might need to let it out the most.  I lost my older sister to lung cancer three years ago.  I don't think talking about Sara is a sad thing.  It makes me happy to chat about memories of her as we were close and had a lot of good times together.  I miss her the most around Christmastime because she delighted in watching the television specials, in stringing popcorn for the tree, and in spreading good will.  She would spend long days handwriting personalized Christmas cards to those who needed some cheer.  Some were soldiers overseas, some were elderly in the nursing home with no family to visit, and some were just socially awkward who lived alone and rarely ventured out.  She made cookies for everyone in her neighborhood too.  Sara lived to make others happy.  While I'm glad she's no longer suffering in pain, I can't help but wish she was still here.

Offline Quiet Abode

Re: Holidays are tough
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »
EmilyJ., thanks for sharing a little about your sister with us.  She sounds like an amazing person who made a real difference in the world.

Offline Katy

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 05:57:30 AM »
Emily, I am so terribly sorry about your sister. It sounds like she was a truly wonderful woman! How sweet of her to spread cheer to those who needed it most at the holidays. Maybe you could do something like that in her memory? That would be an awesome way to honor her.

Don't ever be afraid to share stories of Sara here. Personally, I love hearing the memories.

Offline EmilyJ.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »
Maybe you could do something like that in her memory? That would be an awesome way to honor her.

Don't ever be afraid to share stories of Sara here. Personally, I love hearing the memories.
That's a brilliant idea, Katy!  I'm going to grab some fancy cards this afternoon and will get on that. It will help take my mind off missing Sara and I know it would delight her that I'm carrying out the tradition.  Wow, that's such a great way to "visit" with her memory while doing something for others.  I'm excited to get started!

Thank you guys for embracing my need to reminisce about my older sister.  I appreciate it so much!  I hope you all have a wonderful holiday!

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms