Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Lingering parenting guilt  (Read 1639 times)

Offline noodle

Lingering parenting guilt
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:36:40 AM »
Sometimes, I can't help doing the "Why didn't I [fill in the blank]?" when I think about how my kids grew up. There were lots of times when I didn't drop everything to give them 100% of my attention. I also could have sacrificed more for activities that might have helped them get into more colleges. They're doing fine but I'll still think about these questions, and I wonder if these questions cross their minds, too. Do you do this?

Offline MaryB

Re: Lingering parenting guilt
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 07:58:30 AM »
oh of course, noodle!  And you have good kids!   When mine estranged,  I spent those years in that 'what if' land...  now that he is back I still think 'what if'..  and I'm still doing things that I wish I could turn back the clock...  I think we learn till we die..   that means tripping up along the way.   :017:

Offline noodle

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »
@MaryB, you're so right. We got to accept that a perfect situation will never or very rarely exist for us as parents, spouses, or family members. It's hard to absorb that much of the time. I like think that I'm in control. God laughs when we say we have plans!

Offline MaryB

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
haha you are so right noodle....  we only think we have control over our lives..  shoot none of us do! 
I'm glad you are here noodle...   :cute group hug:

Offline Guineagirl

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 01:00:33 PM »
Sometimes, I can't help doing the "Why didn't I [fill in the blank]?" when I think about how my kids grew up. There were lots of times when I didn't drop everything to give them 100% of my attention. I also could have sacrificed more for activities that might have helped them get into more colleges. They're doing fine but I'll still think about these questions, and I wonder if these questions cross their minds, too. Do you do this?

I do this all the time Noodle, as if I am to blame for everything.  I had a heart to heart with my daughter about this and she hugged me and told me I was a great parent I still wish I could do things different though.  Sometimes I think I molly goddled her a bit much x

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms