Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Do I sell the house?  (Read 2567 times)

Offline mkendrick

Do I sell the house?
« on: February 08, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
I have been wrestling with this concept for awhile now and would like to get some of your opinions. I am doing okay financially, but I've had to make many small sacrifices to fit my life into a budget. Some of the changes I don't mind at all, but some of them make me wonder what life would be like if I sold my house and rented an apartment in the city. I'm worried that my kids will put on a strong face when I'm around but secretly resent me for selling the home they grew up in.  I'm not afraid to say that it breaks my heart to think of my girls feeling that way about me.  I keep telling myself that I could do a lot for them with the money too; that it's not all about me, but I don't know if they would see it the same way.  Has anyone else gone through selling the family home?  How did you approach your kids with the news?  What were their reactions?

Offline MaryB

Re: Do I sell the house?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 07:39:10 PM »
Ooooo great thread!  I would be upset if my folks did that, but now being on the other side myself,  I can understand your thinking too!  I am anxious to hear what other's think...  Good luck!

Offline mkendrick

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 12:10:20 PM »
While I am still on the fence about the decision, I think I am leaning towards selling the house. It would allow me to visit my kids more often without always waiting for them to come back home for the holidays. Not to mention it would allow me to get into a hobby and maybe meet some other people.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »
I agree with you!  After reading other posts and getting to know you better, I agree it would be a good decision.  It's a great new adventure and will lead to many new good and exciting things!   :cutecheerleader:

Offline CountryMom

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 01:04:18 AM »
I am also in the process of selling my home and downsizing so I understand what you're feeling. I discussed the situation with my children before making the decision and they fully supported me. In fact, my daughter said she was wondering why I had been hanging around in this large family home when it was just me left inside. Often we are so worried about the "bad" that could come from our decisions, when really, they are completely unfounded fears. Do what you think is best for you. Your daughters will understand.

Offline Layla

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 07:15:17 AM »
I haven't sold our home, but I can definitely see situations in which I would do so. I would be sad if my parents sold their home, but I'd totally support them in doing so. They have to do what's best for them. And so do you.

Be open with your kids. Allow them to express their feelings. You might be surprised at how supportive they are. Hopefully they'll understand that you are making the best decision for you, and being able to visit them more often should definitely make them happy.

Offline Moonchild

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 07:07:53 PM »
I think you need to do what's right for you.  My father decided to sell our home of 40 years and get an apartment after my mom died.  It wasn't an easy thing to deal with, but...we dealt.  It was his house and he did what he needed to do.

It doesn't mean you won't have feelings about it, but there are probably lots of good reasons to go ahead with it.   

Offline cherie

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 02:13:16 PM »
I haven't sold our home, but I can definitely see situations in which I would do so. I would be sad if my parents sold their home, but I'd totally support them in doing so. They have to do what's best for them. And so do you.

Be open with your kids. Allow them to express their feelings. You might be surprised at how supportive they are. Hopefully they'll understand that you are making the best decision for you, and being able to visit them more often should definitely make them happy.
You just spoke my mind! There is nothing wrong with selling the home but it is much easier when you involve the kids rather than make this decision on your own. You will be surprised at how supportive they can become. Having said that, there's always an attachment with a home that the children grew up in. How about renting it out in the meantime and possibly moving to the city?

Offline Vanessa

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 06:55:07 AM »
I think you should talk to them, but if they're not contributing to keeping the home then they shouldn't stop you from selling it. It's not so simple to make sacrifices just so they wouldn't mind the sale, while they're not even living there anymore. My daughter wouldn't be happy if we sold the apartment she grew up in, but I'd do it should the need arise, because I'm the one who deals with this apartment and she's living in a different place now.  It's not fair that one person pays the whole price for others' memories.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms