Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Do You Become Their Friend?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Indiana

Do You Become Their Friend?
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »
There have always been discussions about how bad it is to be a friend to your children. But there comes a time when all the advice you can dispense to them.....you have.

So what then? The natural way to go from there, in my opinion, is act more like a friend than a parent. If that sounds practical for everyone else, at what point would you do that?

Offline Quiet Abode

Re: Do You Become Their Friend?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:51:25 PM »
I've never seen things that way, but I know people who do.  I still see my mother as my mother and treat her as such.  I still see my kids as my kids.  I'm not sure I could ever be friends with my mother or kids.  I wouldn't share about my personal life the way I do with a friend.  A friend is an equal.  It's an interesting way of looking at that ever evolving relationship though.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 06:06:50 PM »
Wow two great different opinions,  but the basis for both situations is respect!  I guess there's no right or wrong way, as long as there's respect!   :big hug smiley sign:

Offline noodle

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 05:28:03 PM »
I've never seen things that way, but I know people who do.  I still see my mother as my mother and treat her as such.  I still see my kids as my kids.  I'm not sure I could ever be friends with my mother or kids.  I wouldn't share about my personal life the way I do with a friend.  A friend is an equal.  It's an interesting way of looking at that ever evolving relationship though.
I can't see myself as my kids' friend, either. However, right now my relationship with them is a mix of parenting and I think mentoring.

Offline vivie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:27:58 AM »
This is one of those extremely subjective issues and it really varies from one parent or family to the other. I would consider myself a friend to my kids, and vice versa but at no point would I ever pressure them into sharing a lot about their personal lives. As long as you have played your role as a parent (well), everything else seems to fall into place.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 09:49:27 AM »
This is one of those extremely subjective issues and it really varies from one parent or family to the other. I would consider myself a friend to my kids, and vice versa but at no point would I ever pressure them into sharing a lot about their personal lives. As long as you have played your role as a parent (well), everything else seems to fall into place.

Oh if that were the case, vivie.   :(   You are blessed.   :big hug smiley sign:

Offline Layla

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 05:32:24 AM »
I can't see myself being friends with my daughter, per se, but I can see us having a different relationship as she grows older. I'll always be her mother, but I think as time goes on and she grows older, I'll be more of a guide or mentor for her. I won't have to set rules for her or give her discipline any longer, but I hope she still comes to me for advice and guidance.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms