Empty Nest Moms AND Dads! > A "Different" kind of Empty Nest

Because Of Work

(1/2) > >>

4am coffee:
I have been hearing stories of young adults, 18 and 19ish, who leave home sooner than they planned simply because there is no work in the area where they live. They move to a location where they can find work.

Have any of you been hearing this as well? It seems like, yes, the economy is better.......but not better everywhere. Like there are "pockets" in the U.S. that do much better than others.

Quiet Abode:
I've noticed that too.  Back in the day, the kids would often find jobs where their parents worked and those were good union jobs with a pension too.  Now, kids can't rely on solid work, even with a college degree.  It's awful!  I think it hurts the family stability in the long run.  There's no grandparents nearby to help out with the kids and there's no young people to pitch in for the elderly.

MaryB:
That's exactly what's happening.  Even my son here has a higher paying warehouse job, and yet it's not enough to be self supporting, not and be in any kind of comfort.  It makes you think about moving where the jobs are..  so how would a person find out where that is?

Katy:
Quiet Abode, I think you have a good point - kids having to move away for work hurts the family bond. We are lucky that my daughter was able to find work and stay near us, but I hear so many stories where this is not the case. It's really sad.

These days you have to have a college degree to land a good job, but even if you have a degree, the competition is really fierce in some parts of the country. I hope things continue to improve.

JustUs2:

--- Quote from: MaryB on February 04, 2019, 02:30:54 PM ---That's exactly what's happening.  Even my son here has a higher paying warehouse job, and yet it's not enough to be self supporting, not and be in any kind of comfort.  It makes you think about moving where the jobs are..  so how would a person find out where that is?

--- End quote ---
I found two links that might give you an idea, MaryB.
https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings/the-100-best-jobs
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-states-for-singles/31667/ (This link might seem silly, but it includes information about the cost of living, the cost of haircuts, the cost of eating out, the rate of unemployment, and all the little things that affect a person's quality of life.) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version