Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Dad's birthday today  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Quiet Abode

Dad's birthday today
« on: January 25, 2019, 05:55:48 PM »
Today is/was my father's birthday.  He's been gone a long time now and I usually handle things okay, but I was a daddy's girl and today has been rough!  :(   Do you all do anything to commemorate your loved ones' birthdays after they're gone?  I'd like to have a plan in place for next year, so it's not as jarring.

Offline MaryB

Re: Dad's birthday today
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »
  :(  I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but I dont..   I'm so sorry...    :big hug smiley sign:

Offline Quiet Abode

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
That's okay, MaryB.  I appreciate the internet hug and the fact that you "listened" and cared enough to respond more than you'll ever know.  You're good people!  :cute group hug:

Offline MaryB

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:50:14 PM »
 :cute group hug:  Thank you!  If we were by each other I'd take you out for coffee...  :coffee2:  Somehow talking eases us.. 

Offline JustUs2

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 02:19:01 PM »
What about "adopting" a senior in the nursing home and gifting them some practical and fun items on your dad's birthday as a way to remember him?  You could also just accept that you're going to be sad when his birthday rolls around.  Just embrace it.  Take off of work, look at old photos of your dad, remember the good times, visit his graveside, and cry if you need to.  It could be cathartic.  Embrace the idea that the next day is filled with new possibilities and hope. 

Offline Layla

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 06:14:37 AM »
I love JustUs2's idea of adopting a senior in a nursing home. Many of the residents there don't get many visitors and are lonely. Visiting with a senior on your dad's birthday would be a wonderful way to honor him.

Was your dad passionate about any specific cause like helping Veterans or helping the homeless? If so, you could make a donation in his name to an organization that supports a cause he was passionate about. Or, you could volunteer with that organization.

Be sure to take time to remember your dad on his birthday. It can be painful, I know, but it's important to allow yourself to feel your emotions. If you have a family member to talk to, maybe sit down with him/her and share memories of your dad.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms