Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Potato replacements?  (Read 587 times)

Offline JustUs2

Potato replacements?
« on: January 03, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »
The one staple is so darn hard to give up is potatoes.  They are cheap to buy, loved by many, and very versatile.  How have you replaced potatoes in your low-carb diet? 

Empty Nest Moms

Potato replacements?
« on: January 03, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »

Offline MaryB

Re: Potato replacements?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:41:10 PM »
I dont think they do.  Another one in my house is pasta..  (I'm Italian) 

Offline EmilyJ.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »
MaryB., you crack me up!  I'm like you though, there's just no real replacement for potatoes.  Have you ever tried zucchini noodles?  I don't think pasta has much flavor, so I don't mind switching them out for something else.  It's the sauce and seasonings that make Italian meals delicious to me. 

Justus2, I'm not on a low-carb diet, but I hosted some friends and family during the holiday season who were.  I made fried green beans rolled in french fry seasoning that satisfied everyone.  I tried making mashed cauliflower as a replacement for mashed potatoes, but it was just horrible.  In the end, I compromised by mixing lots of cauliflower with real mashed potatoes and it turned out okay.  I had to use more seasoning than usual though.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »

Offline noodle

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 12:44:01 PM »
I tried making mashed cauliflower as a replacement for mashed potatoes, but it was just horrible.  In the end, I compromised by mixing lots of cauliflower with real mashed potatoes and it turned out okay.  I had to use more seasoning than usual though.
I'm also not on a low-carb diet but need to be more careful. I've heard about the mashed cauliflower-potato mix and wondered what it was like. Thanks for sharing this!

Would turnips or daikon radishes work as substitutes? I don't know if anything is similar enough to good white potatoes.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 11:10:27 AM »
MaryB., you crack me up!  I'm like you though, there's just no real replacement for potatoes.  Have you ever tried zucchini noodles?  I don't think pasta has much flavor, so I don't mind switching them out for something else.  It's the sauce and seasonings that make Italian meals delicious to me. 

Oh but I wish you were close and I could make you home-made pasta, with eggs and semolina flour..  bet you'd like the taste then!   :72:
Seems like the things we like the best are bad for us though...  like sweets!   :(
Hugs to you Emily J.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 11:10:27 AM »

Offline LeeAnn

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 04:22:04 PM »
I tried mashed sweet potatoes and sweet potato fries. They're just not the same! At least they're healthier. There's this meaty flavor with regular potatoes that can't be totally copied.

Offline JustUs2

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:56:19 AM »
MaryB., sweets are my biggest downfall!  I used to do all of my low-carb baking for the week on the weekends until I realized having that many treats around just made me eat them quickly.  :dunno:

Thanks for the tip, Emily J.  I'm going to try green beans the next time I'm craving fries.  I've made pizza crust with cauliflower and it turned out okay.  The toppings overpower the crust anyway.  It's super sweet that you made something that your friends on low-carb diets could enjoy too.

Noodle, that was a great suggestion! For dinner yesterday I cut up some radishes and sautéed them with bacon and a little olive oil.  The look, texture, and aroma turned very similar to what I'd get with a potato dish.  I didn't expect them to turn out as well as they did.  Thanks!

LeeAnn, I hope your holiday meal went well!  I think sweet potatoes have the same number of carbs as any other potato so they aren't the best low-carb option.  I never thought about what all a person could do with potatoes until they were off the menu for me.  :(   

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:56:19 AM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms