Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Working forever  (Read 1724 times)

Offline noodle

Working forever
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:37:51 PM »
My husband and I work hard, but we will never be rich. We have saved for what we wanted, like travel, and we have a small "retirement" account plus our future Social Security. However, there's no realistic way can both stop working. We also want our kids to use their earnings for their needs and not feel obligated towards us. Plus, who knows how hard their generation will have it?

Financial security these days seems different compared to my parents' experience. What do you think?

Offline Layla

Re: Working forever
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 06:06:36 AM »
Yes, it is definitely different. Things are so much more expensive now than they used to be, and it's harder to just make ends meet, let alone save for retirement. We put away as much as we can, but we will never be rich, either. My husband cannot imagine retiring. He loves to have something to do. I would love to travel with him, but I can't imagine him being home all the time, either.

Offline noodle

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »
We're in a similar situation. There's always something we need to save for or pay off, followed by the next thing. I'm fine with working until health reasons make me stop, but I do kind of envy the people I know who are set for the rest of their lives.

Offline cherie

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
We had this discussion with my husband a few weeks ago and none of us could imagine having nothing to do at any point. I guess that we get used to always having something to do so much so that that the thought of not working seems scary. Above all, it is important to spare some time to go on holiday.

Offline Indiana

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
This is why we should enjoy what we do for a living. If you enjoy what you do for a living you'll never "work" a day in your life.

Offline mkendrick

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »
I wish I had continued working. At the time I thought of the retirement as a long vacation or a reward for all the years I put into that factory. Now I almost wish I could go back. I don't miss the long days or the irritation the management would cause mind you but it at least filled my day up. I'm living on a strict budget these days and while doable it doesn't leave me much room to breathe.

Offline noodle

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 12:44:45 PM »
@mkendrick, I think of what you said when I wonder if I could ever retire. Even when I get stressed out by deadlines, at the same time I like having a paycheck (even when it's small) and a structured day.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms