Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Finding my own identity  (Read 1469 times)

Offline EmilyJ.

Finding my own identity
« on: December 26, 2018, 04:00:29 PM »
It's been an interesting journey finding [/size]my identity[/size] outside of being a mom since my last baby bird flew the nest.  Of course, I miss being a full-time mother, but I've learned some new skills and made some new friends since then.  Most of the positive changes I've made wouldn't have been open to me otherwise, since I was always concerned about how my choices would affect my children.  It's nice to live for myself now.  I hope I can continue this positive feeling as I move forward.  What about you all?

Offline JustUs2

Re: Finding my own identity
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:47:13 AM »
It's so easy to get wrapped up in being a mother.  When the kids were young their schedules dictated my schedule and their desires overrode mine.  I think fathers do a better job of maintaining a sense of self overall.  I'm not sure why that is.  You've got a good point, Emily J., about finally having time to find your new identity once you've got an empty nest.  It's something to embrace for sure.

Offline Katy

Re: Finding my own identity
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 05:43:53 AM »
I agree, it's so easy to get wrapped up in being a mom. That's not a bad thing, of course, but we tend to focus so much on that role that many of us have to spend time rediscovering our identities when our kids leave the nest. I am still working on it, even though my daughter has been out of the house for years! I am having fun rediscovering myself and what I love to do.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms