Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Low-carb meringue pies  (Read 263 times)

Offline JustUs2

Low-carb meringue pies
« on: December 14, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »
I've been on the low-carb diet for about a year or so now, but I've only just learned how to make an excellent low-carb meringue pie.  In the past when I made them, my pie would seem too wet and all the filling would spill out of the sides while the middle became hollowed out.  The meringue would turn flat and runny and look nothing like the photos on Pinterest.  I finally figured out a few tricks.  You can use any low-carb pie crust that you wish so long as you add a pie ring which will help seal the edges and encourage the pie to rise in the middle. For the meringue you can use however many egg whites the recipe calls for and add a sugar substitute like Swerve to taste.  The trick to a beautiful meringue is that there can be no oily substance on your hands, your spatula, your mixer, or in the bowl.  Whisk until it's stiff and no more.  I've tried adding things like fruits to my meringue, it tastes good, but it doesn't turn out as pretty in my opinion. 

Do you have any holiday baking tips to share?  I love to bake and enjoy trying different tips and tricks. 

Offline FeelingBetter

Re: Low-carb meringue pies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 04:38:33 PM »
Thanks for that tip JustUsTwo. I've been doing low carb for a while now and always looking for tips, etc. I'll have to try that one.

I like to make the no bake cream cheese pies with the almond flour crust (I always add some pecans to the crust)  :111:  Mostly I make them plain but will add a few crushed strawberries or raspberries to the cream cheese. If you use the Philadelphia brand it is almost nothing in carbs per oz!

I'll probably make some for Christmas dinner.

:a035:

Empty Nest Moms

Re: Low-carb meringue pies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 04:38:33 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms