Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Diaries with locks  (Read 1632 times)

Offline noodle

Diaries with locks
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »
I loved these as a kid. It felt special having my book of secrets, and no one knew what was inside because I had the only key!

Online blogs, Instagram stories, and YouTube vlogs have taken over. They all have their fun points, but nothing beats scribbling on blank diary pages and having your own finished book when you got to the very last line.

Offline EmilyJ.

Re: Diaries with locks
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:36:22 PM »
I loved them too, but I would always lose the key and have to break the lock.  Really though, I always figured one of my parents were picking up the key when they found it so they could read my diary.  Not that I ever had anything interesting to write about.   Did you keep your diaries, noodle?  I wish I still had mine. 

My daughters had those Lisa Frank diaries.  They were brightly colored with lots of cute animals on the cover.  I think locked diaries go right up there with Lip Smackers. A rite of passage for females born in the 80s or 90s. 

Offline cherie

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »
I loved these as a kid. It felt special having my book of secrets, and no one knew what was inside because I had the only key!

Online blogs, Instagram stories, and YouTube vlogs have taken over. They all have their fun points, but nothing beats scribbling on blank diary pages and having your own finished book when you got to the very last line.
My older brother once stole my key so you can imagine the look on my face when I found him skimming through my little valued book. Technology has changed everything but nothing beats the fun that this old method generated.

Offline noodle

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 02:35:14 PM »
I loved them too, but I would always lose the key and have to break the lock.  Really though, I always figured one of my parents were picking up the key when they found it so they could read my diary.  Not that I ever had anything interesting to write about.   Did you keep your diaries, noodle?  I wish I still had mine.
I kept them until college graduation. This was when my parents turned my bedroom into an office — and didn't tell me. They threw out everything except my desk! I can't tell if they ever peeked into my diaries and letters, and I'm not sure if I want to ask!

Offline EmilyJ.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:29:50 PM »
Technology has changed everything but nothing beats the fun that this old method generated.
I have to agree, cherie.  There was something about writing my thoughts down that was very cathartic.  It was a simple avenue where I could get things off my chest and work through issues.   I mostly wrote about fun stuff like crushes, field trips, holidays, and things like that.  Even then journaling was a terrific outlet. 

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms