Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Enjoying the Things an Empty Nest Provides  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Katy

Enjoying the Things an Empty Nest Provides
« on: October 05, 2018, 05:43:29 AM »
I've really been enjoying the little things that an empty nest provides lately.

I can have a nice hot shower in the morning now that there aren't two other people using it before me. I can go for evening walks. If I don't feel like cooking, I can call my husband up to see if he wants to have a spontaneous date night with me. I no longer have to worry about tripping over textbooks or my daughter's shoes or backpack in the middle of the floor. Perhaps best of all, there's not as much laundry to do!

These things used to make me a bit sad, but I've come to a point where I can enjoy them. What about you? What little things do you enjoy about an empty nest?

Offline cherie

Re: Enjoying the Things an Empty Nest Provides
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
Well, that abrupt change can be overwhelming sometimes but the idea is that it is possible to turn them into sources of joy. It took me a while to adjust but the good thing is that we can make the best out of every situation that presents itself. My husband loves the late night dates so once or twice a week, we drive to the city and have a quiet dinner.

Offline Bewitched

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 04:34:50 PM »
I never used to understand why people liked taking baths so much. That was before I had the time to really enjoy one though! I light some candles, put on an audiobook, put some bath salts in, and just relax. It's amazing! I feel like I've totally been missing out all these years.

Offline Katy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »
That sounds really amazing, Bewitched! Maybe I should try a nice bath and audiobook. Maybe it would help me sleep better. Do you have a favorite author? A favorite candle scent?

Offline Bewitched

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
Katy, I highly recommend it! It helps me sleep - as long as I don't get too excited by things happening in my audiobook! I like psychological thrillers the most but they aren't always the most relaxing.

I know some think they're childish, but I love the Harry Potter audiobooks. Jim Dale has such a soothing voice. I'm also familiar enough with the series that I won't feel the need to continue listening after I'm done with my bath. Historical fiction books are usually good too. I really love anything by Alison Weir. What kind of books do you normally like? I can give you better suggestions.

As for candle scents, I love floral scents. Peony has been my favorite for a while now. Vanilla and lavender candles are amazing too. They really help me relax!

Offline noodle

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 11:27:08 PM »
Perhaps best of all, there's not as much laundry to do!

These things used to make me a bit sad, but I've come to a point where I can enjoy them. What about you? What little things do you enjoy about an empty nest?
I love having less laundry! I'm also relieved that I don't have to deal with crowded morning drives to school, or making sure the kids remembered to pack their lunches.

Offline LeeAnn

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 02:48:01 PM »
I can't wait to see our children for the holidays. At the same time, it's been nice having so few dishes to wash and just enjoying the general daily quietness.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms