Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Setting an example for us  (Read 1662 times)

Offline noodle

Setting an example for us
« on: December 03, 2018, 08:07:45 PM »
My dad followed a routine without fail. He got up and went to bed at the same time, even on weekends. He never skipped meals and would sometimes have one (but never more) shot of scotch at dinner. He also worked incredibly hard.

I inherited his work ethic but need to keep working on keeping a structured schedule. My younger son is like his late grandfather, which is nice to see! I hope he passes this to his future children.

Offline Quiet Abode

Re: Setting an example for us
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:13:31 PM »
Ah noodle, what a great read!   Do you believe your dad kept the same routine because it was easier for him if he didn't get off track or do you think it was just habitual?

Offline girlchild34

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 05:34:45 AM »
This is beautiful. It makes sense to stick to a routine because children are good observers who will naturally learn a lot more from observation, as opposed to what is said to them. My parents were strict but never easily got angry and we learned to respect them. Through them, we understood the importance of keeping calm, even in very difficult situations.

Offline Katy

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 06:02:17 AM »
Your father must have been very disciplined to keep such a good schedule. I admire that. I try to keep to a schedule, but I often get side-tracked.

My mom has a lot of patience. I don't have as much patience as she does. My daughter has a lot of patience like her grandma, and I hope she passes that trait along to her child, too.

Offline noodle

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
Ah noodle, what a great read!   Do you believe your dad kept the same routine because it was easier for him if he didn't get off track or do you think it was just habitual?
Thanks, Quiet Abode. He was definitely a creature of habit, and he also hated wasting time. I got lectures about wasting that and food. It annoyed me back then, but I understand and agree with him so much more now!

Offline EmilyJ.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »
Noodle, I enjoyed reading more about your family.  My father also kept a fairly strict routine and I inherited the same attitude of tracking time and being productive.  Honestly though, I wish I could do better with adapting to change and going with the flow. 

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms