Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: When they want to be independent  (Read 2047 times)

Offline girlchild34

When they want to be independent
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:30:45 PM »
Most parents cannot resist the temptation to be hands-on and want to direct a child's every move. The journey towards independence can be delirious and I think a parent's role should be more of guidance rather than control. Did you always realize it when the kids seemed to get 'quieter' and 'less needy' in their quest for independence?

Offline Layla

Re: When they want to be independent
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 06:43:30 AM »
The teenage years are the hardest because your child wants to be independent, and you still want to have more control over their lives to make sure they don't make big mistakes. It's hard to let go and allow them to make mistakes and become independent. I worry about my daughter at college all the time and hope that she knows she can come to me with anything. I definitely think my role as a parent now is to offer guidance or advice when she asks for it.

Offline cherie

Re: When they want to be independent
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 11:13:55 AM »
It will be untrue for any parent to claim that they hardly worry about how their kids could turn into, when adulthood beckons. Just like Layla opines, teenage years seem to be the hardest and since every child is different, there are those that will sail through this stage easily. Guiding your children also comes with being firm and stern about what cannot be tolerated.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms