Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No, I won't knit, quilt, bake, or craft all your gifts  (Read 1349 times)

Offline EmilyJ.

No, I won't knit, quilt, bake, or craft all your gifts
« on: December 11, 2018, 11:21:18 PM »
It happens every year when Christmastime rolls around. People send me lists of what they need me to create for them.  My sister wants me to knit her daughter a blanket.  My cousin wants matching gloves and hats for her three kids.  She even had the audacity to include their sizes on her email to me, just assuming I'd do it.  My mom needs me to bake dozens of cookies for her neighbors.  Of course, I'm lucky if they offer to pay for supplies, but then they're outraged to find out that yarn is expensive.  Not to mention how much time it takes to make these things! 

Makers and crafters, do people try to take advantage of your handiwork?  Sometimes it's like they have a sense of entitlement to my work. 

Empty Nest Moms

No, I won't knit, quilt, bake, or craft all your gifts
« on: December 11, 2018, 11:21:18 PM »

Offline JustUs2

Re: No, I won't knit, quilt, bake, or craft all your gifts
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »

I like knitting and baking, but you're right, it sure gets expensive, especially if it's a big project.  I don't mind making things for my extended family and close friends, but then again, I've never had anyone send me their wish list without my prompting them to do so. 

Wait, do you mean to tell me that these gifts have already been promised without your say-so?  Are your cousins and your niece literally waiting for their handcrafted gifts?  I hope their parents didn't really put that into their heads.  It takes ages to knit a blanket, better hop to it I guess.

Offline EmilyJ.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
Wait, do you mean to tell me that these gifts have already been promised without your say-so?  Are your cousins and your niece literally waiting for their handcrafted gifts?  I hope their parents didn't really put that into their heads.  It takes ages to knit a blanket, better hop to it I guess.
No, the gifts weren't already promised to the children.  At least, I hope not.  I think their issue with paying for materials is that it's so cheap to buy these finished products at a big-box store.  Of course they'll be getting mass-produced items of questionable quality, but all they see is the price tag.  I've suggested they make a Walmart or Target run in that case.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 02:08:50 PM »
Sometimes that is the price you pay for being so talented (and a relative)! They think all  you have to do is just whip something up and that's it. Hmmm, don't think so.

Would  you get in 'trouble' if you picked and chose who you wanted to knit something for or would the others be mad because you left them out?

Can be hard sometimes trying to please the family.

I'm sure you will figure something out. Me, I would just go about whatever I had planned to begin with before all the 'orders' started coming in!  :wavysanta:

Offline Shirley1965

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »
I'm with Jeanine on this one. Just go about what you planned to do in the first place and hope for the best! Good luck and how nice to be so talented which is why others are wanting you to make stuff for them. Wish I could knit.

:merrychristmassanta:

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »

Offline girlchild34

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 04:43:15 AM »
It is the festive season so it will not be fair for everyone else to be busy with preparations while you are somewhere working pro bono. There comes a time when people have to disagree to agree and this involves honesty and laying everything bare. That sense of entitlement is extremely annoying.

Offline Katy

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 12:29:46 AM »
I'm sorry, EmilyJ. It is so not cool to ask you to do these things for free and without any consideration of how much time and energy it takes! At the very least, they should offer to pay for supplies, but honestly, I'd think any decent person would also offer to compensate you for your time and energy. These things take a long time, and you deserve to have your time valued.

I am not sure if I could do it myself, but I would suggest telling your relatives that you'd be happy to do these things if they want to compensate you for supplies as well as your time and energy. If they don't want to do that, I would tell them no. It's just not right for them to assume that you will drop everything and help them like this. Remember that you, your time, and your energy are very valuable, and you deserve to be appreciated!

Offline EmilyJ.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 03:22:16 PM »
I sure appreciate the support I've found among you wonderful ladies!  I ended up taking the advice here - I did what I could and I gave the gifts I already had planned for those whose projects I couldn't finish.  I managed to make some of the gifts, but there was just no way I could knit a blanket on such short notice.  Fortunately, it all seemed to work out okay.  Maybe I was just putting that pressure on myself because I hate disappointing my family. 

Offline SusanWGF

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 02:35:46 PM »
I'm glad to hear it all worked out for you. It's understandable to feel frustrated when something is thrust on you with no time for proper preparation. One time while my kids were still growing up my daughter ran up to me and DEMANDED (not asked) that I bake her 100 cookies for a bake sale the next day! Reading your post reminded me of that day. I hope you had a great Christmas!

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 02:35:46 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms