Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: How many 'net' carbs?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Elizabeth

How many 'net' carbs?
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »
Hi, just wondering if anyone else has started doing low carb or has been doing it for a while? I know you have Jeanine so wondering how many net carbs you are on? I've started (about a week or two ago) and seem to be doing ok so far. I've even lost 7 pounds! :banana:  I know that is just to start and will probably slow down after a while but it's nice. You had mentioned starting slow with maybe more carbs in the beginning (I know my body is/was used to a lot of carbs!) so doing around 50 for now and it seems to be working ok. After a few more weeks I may lower it a bit more.

How many are you on?

Sure would like to see some recipes showing up!

Empty Nest Moms

How many 'net' carbs?
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »

Offline MaryB

Re: How many 'net' carbs?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »
Oh my gosh, that's excellent!!!   Just by watching your carbs?????  Sugar is a carb huh..  Well you've got my attention!

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »
Hi ya'll, good job Elizabeth! Seven pounds is good.  :13:  (Yes Mary, sorry to say sugar is a carb!) I actually started out on the same, between 40 and 50 carbs a day, then gradually went down. I hold around 20-25 most days, sometimes a little more. But, it can be different for each person so you are the best judge of that. As you go along and get more use to all of it you'll find what works for you.

You also have to remember that even if you do slow down on the weight loss and don't seem to be losing any that you can be losing inches! The fat seems to come off in the places that you need it most.

There are a lot of sugar substitutes out there that are very low in carbs or have none, just find what you like best. Some can be expensive some not so much.

Good luck Elizabeth and keep at it!

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »

Offline MaryB

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »
You know, when I cut out sweets I lose easy...  I bet this is why!  I didnt put it together before! 

Offline MaryB

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 05:17:05 PM »
Okay, according to this we cannot eat anything!   :dunno:

Here are food groups and a few examples of where you'll find the most carbs:
  • Dairy. Milk, yogurt, and ice cream.
  • Fruit. Whole fruit and fruit juice.
  • Grains. Bread, rice, crackers, and cereal.
  • Legumes. Beans and other plant-based proteins.
  • Starchy Vegetables. Potatoes and corn.
  • Sugary Sweets. Limit these!

Which Foods Have Carbs?: Diabetes Forecast®

www.diabetesforecast.org/2015/may-jun/which-foods-have-carbs.html[/color][/size]

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 07:22:26 PM »
LOL, of course there are a lot of things you can eat! What you mainly want to watch is putting 'high fat' and 'high carbs' together. Believe it or not the ratio for this is Fat...Protein...Carbs.  There are a lot of fresh veggies you can eat. Berries in moderation are ok according to Atkins (after being on it for a while)

There are things you will need to stay away from or give up but isn't that true of most 'diets'? If we are at a point where we need to lose weight then obviously we are eating things that we shouldn't!

As I've mentioned, doing low carb isn't for everyone but I've found it works for me. I just think of all the things that I can eat and with so many new products out now for doing this it is  lot easier. I've always been a big bread eater along with mashed potatoes and cream corn! I don't give it up totally, sometimes I will have a little bit of cream corn and maybe a couple spoonfuls of mashed potatoes, just not all the time.

I've also had my blood work done a few times since I've been doing this and my blood sugar and cholesterol have all been in the normal range along with several other things they test for. It has it's benefits if you stay on it right.

I would get a book that gives you the carb count on foods but take into account they may not be completely accurate. Some things you will have to use your own judgement.

Also remember you are not going totally free of carbs!

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 07:22:26 PM »

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
Thanks for all that and yes your are right, if we are at a point where we need to lose then we are going to have to start cutting something out, just need to figure which way you want to go doing it. I don't think nothing is easy but I'm willing to stay with this a while and see where it goes. I'm really hoping to just make this a new way of eating from here on out. We'll see what happens.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:50:46 PM »
Yes it is a whole new way of eating!  Well I'm encouraged because I know for me, to cut out sweets works and this has to be why. 
You gals are doing great!  To be healthier is what it's all about!   :grouphugsign:

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:50:46 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms