Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Other parents requesting you to talk to their kids  (Read 1892 times)

Offline haidyl

Other parents requesting you to talk to their kids
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:29:44 PM »
This has got to be the most awkward thing to do, isn't it? We have had instances where certain couples approached us, when they felt that their kids had drastically changed. I kept wondering whether in their eyes, they pictured us as the 'perfect' family. In most cases, the polite thing to do has been to talk to these kids and listen to what they have to say.

Offline Layla

Re: Other parents requesting you to talk to their kids
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 06:17:40 AM »
I would feel really awkward if one of my daughter's friend's parents approached me and asked me to talk to their son or daughter. I just don't feel it's my place. Now, if the son or daughter approached me and wanted to talk, I see that a little differently.

How did these situations resolve, haidyl?

Offline littleone

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »
I would feel really awkward if one of my daughter's friend's parents approached me and asked me to talk to their son or daughter. I just don't feel it's my place. Now, if the son or daughter approached me and wanted to talk, I see that a little differently.
I agree. You can't reject the kids if they come to you first, but to be the one initiating the discussion just sounds and feels wrong. I've never had it happened to me, and I wouldn't ask someone else for something like this. The question is, can you refuse this kind of request?

Offline haidyl

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
The hardest part is always initiating that discussion without making it look like the kids' parents, have sent you. As parents, we really need to tackle the bull by its horns. There are instances where the children were able to speak out and share what they would never tell their parents. What I have learned, over time, is the importance of keeping communication lines open, every other time.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms