Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Holding on to things  (Read 2246 times)

Offline EllieM

Holding on to things
« on: November 05, 2018, 07:52:50 AM »
How many of you have this problem: I am not much of a hoarder, never have been. But ever since my kids moved out I am having a hard time getting rid of things. Their rooms are definitely still exactly the way they've left it and even though I feel like they're just using my house as storage, I don't have the heart to ask them to remove things or throw things away. I find myself enjoying their stuff around.

Offline LeeAnn

Re: Holding on to things
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
I've donated or tossed about two-thirds of my kids' stuff. There's a few more boxes of old toys and school papers that I want to take time emptying. Many memories come up as I decide what to do with each item. At the same time, it's nice having less clutter and more space for guests.

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:49:21 PM »
I'm with you LeeAnn. Although it did take a while in the beginning, once I got started it felt good when I was done. I did keep a lot of their school 'stuff' and some things they made along the way but have it all put up in a big box.

For some it takes a long time to do this but that's ok, one day you'll get around to it when you're ready.

Offline MomOfTwo

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
I might have an idea on how you feel, EllieM. The smell and the sight of our kids' stuff make us nostalgic. I had that problem too. I did not decide on what will happen to my children's stuff because it is theirs, even though most of them were bought by us, their parents. I asked my sons what they wanted to do with their things and when they said to donate it to the church, then that was what I did.

Offline Indiana

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 01:45:50 PM »
The only thing I hold onto are pictures. I don't know if I have more than average, but sometimes it seems to me that I have too many.

Offline Flower

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 09:30:58 AM »
I still have everything! I'm very sentimental and over the years I filled storage bins with all of my daughter's schoolwork, artwork, and notes and then labeled them according to what age she was at the time. I also kept special clothing, like her Christmas dresses and Halloween costumes, and certain toys that were her favorites. It's not as bad as it sounds, though, because as she got older, there was less stuff to save. We have a huge storage room in our basement and I keep them in there. Sometimes my husband tells me that we need to have her take it if she wants it, but she isn't settled enough yet that I'd feel comfortable with her moving it around with her. Someday it will be her choice what to do with it, but for now I like knowing that it's been preserved.

Offline FeelingAlone

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:56:19 AM »
Oh gezzzz, I can so relate to this topic! I have saved so much of my daughters stuff over the years. I will admit that I have started going though it to see what I can get rid of and what I really want to keep (to maybe show grandkids one day?)

She really liked to draw a lot and was actually pretty good so what I did with some of her pics she colored was to put them in a nice frame. It makes for some interesting wall art and very colorful! Just an idea for some of the things you don't want to get rid of.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms