Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: My first grandchild, but daughter lives 2000 miles away!  (Read 1387 times)

Offline EllieM

My first grandchild, but daughter lives 2000 miles away!
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:35:42 AM »
Hey everyone! I am a proud grandma-to-be to my very first grandchild. I am overjoyed, of course! My daughter is 32 years old and she is finally settling down and now she is pregnant. It'll be a little baby girl and she's due in February! The downside is that they live 2000 miles away a few states away. I can't travel that often (for physical and financial reasons) and I am afraid that as soon as she has her baby, she won't be able to come see me often anymore either. After my daughter moved out, we got really close and she's been visiting me at least once every one or two months. Does anyone have this same experience? And how did it turn out for you?

Offline Guineagirl

Re: My first grandchild, but daughter lives 2000 miles away!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »
 :big hug smiley sign:  To you you must be very excited.  I can’t relate to the grandchild bit but can to the daughter living away.  By the sounds of it your daughter is going to make sure you see your new granddaughter.  She sounds like a thoughtful daughter,  it’s strange I’ve got closer to my daughter too.  Maybe the absence makes the heart fonder or the gaps in between make us miss each other.  Is there any chance you could go stay with her when the baby is born to help?  A trip you could look forward to then. 

Offline haidyl

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 02:37:37 AM »
I can feel your excitement and so congratulation for another phase of your life that you are about to start. We tend to get closer with our kids when they are away from us and I think it is normal from most parents. Like Guineagirl suggests, going to stay with your daughter when the bundle of joy arrives, could be a good way to bond.

Offline EllieM

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:26 AM »
Thanks for the love, both of you! Maybe I should make an effort to go over for a longer period of time once the baby is born. I just don't want to be in her way. Do you think 2 weeks is too long? Maybe I could find a hotel nearby to stay at instead of at her place. She lives in a small condo so I wouldn't be able to stay there for a long time anyway.

Offline Guineagirl

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »
Thanks for the love, both of you! Maybe I should make an effort to go over for a longer period of time once the baby is born. I just don't want to be in her way. Do you think 2 weeks is too long? Maybe I could find a hotel nearby to stay at instead of at her place. She lives in a small condo so I wouldn't be able to stay there for a long time anyway.

:039:  What I would do is ask EllieM, I think by asking we show we are being considerate, I think also she’ll want her Mum with her.  You can then focus attention on your daughter as well as your new grandchild. 

I’m all positive giving advice I know so apologies for that when I’m questioning myself in my situation atm.  When we visit our daughter we stay in a cheap hotel but it’s only for two to three nights, it depends if you can afford it for two weeks,  if things are tight for space maybe that’s best

I think it’s nice to retreat to a hotel as it gives them some space and us.  We eat out and she comes, I won’t let her cook for us as she doesn’t have money to spare like that. 

Offline Layla

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 05:31:25 AM »
Congratulations!! What exciting news!

The physical distance between yourself and your daughter will make seeing each other more difficult after the baby is born, but you'll also treasure that time with her all the more. Maybe you can find ways to spend time together from a distance, such as video chatting, talking on the phone, etc. Maybe you could go stay with her for a few days or a week at a time when you're able to visit her. It's a long drive, but maybe your daughter can make it occasionally with the new baby - a lot of babies enjoy car rides.

I know it will be difficult on both of you. I hope that some of the others here will have additional ideas. I'm confident that you two will find ways to stay close despite the distance, and I know you'll be a great grandmother!

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms