Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Depression  (Read 1561 times)

Offline haidyl

Depression
« on: October 12, 2018, 05:27:20 PM »
The World Mental Health Day was marked on October 10th. This day brought with it memories of us as young couples sailing through this period while relying on our own intuitions. I now realize that this was quite an emotional draining process. Do you think that couples should seek professional counselling from the beginning?

On the flip side, would seeking professional help (say after the first child starts college) help to prepare parents better?

Offline Layla

Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:48:44 AM »
That's a really interesting question.

I think it would be a great idea if parents sought counselling - either individual or couples counselling - before their kids leave home. It might help prepare us better for their absence. When we get into an emotional place, it's hard for us to think objectively about solutions to our issues, and a therapist could definitely help with that.

Offline haidyl

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 05:17:25 AM »
Very much so Layla. See, when the first child leaves both parents and the remaining siblings get through a phase of feeling lost and empty. Seeking professional help could help the parents not only learn to deal with the issues at hand, but also manage themselves when all kids are out of home.

Offline MomOfTwo

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 09:51:39 AM »
I heard a counsel from a friend. She said that: "When we are happy together before the kids were born, then we should continue that kind of relationship after the kids are born. That way, we can still enjoy each other when the kids leave home."

Offline haidyl

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »
I heard a counsel from a friend. She said that: "When we are happy together before the kids were born, then we should continue that kind of relationship after the kids are born. That way, we can still enjoy each other when the kids leave home."
What a way to sum it all up. What most couples forget is that being happy after the kids are gone, is not hard at all. Whereas it is normal to feel sad as a result of their absence, it is very possible to turn things around and remain happy!

Offline MomOfTwo

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 12:57:26 AM »
I can understand the depression of some mothers because I felt it too when my kids left home to build their own future. It is like a second time that the umbilical cord was cut, but this time my baby will be away from me. Most fathers don't understand that connection of us mothers to our children.

Offline haidyl

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 11:57:44 AM »
I can understand the depression of some mothers because I felt it too when my kids left home to build their own future. It is like a second time that the umbilical cord was cut, but this time my baby will be away from me. Most fathers don't understand that connection of us mothers to our children.
At times I think they do but rather than empathize with us, they 'encourage' us to get over it or remind us that we were once young and in a similar situation as out kids. Depression is real and I always encourage mothers to seek professional help from the onset. No one can embark on this journey, on their own.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms