Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Relating with your children  (Read 2175 times)

Offline cherie

Relating with your children
« on: September 25, 2018, 04:53:25 PM »
Even though I am not a senior empty nester yet, I keep wondering how the relationships with our children and everyone else we come into close contact with, could change. I tend to think that the bonds could grow stronger at this point, even though our own children (in particular) will possibly have started their own families.

Offline Moonlight

Re: Relating with your children
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 11:43:51 PM »
I do think our relationship will change. If they have their own families and children to look after, they may understand ourselves as parents a little bit better. It isn't always easy to look at them like the adults they are, but I'm ready to learn. How do you think you'll feel, cherie?

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 11:43:51 PM »

Offline cherie

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:46:40 AM »
I do think our relationship will change. If they have their own families and children to look after, they may understand ourselves as parents a little bit better. It isn't always easy to look at them like the adults they are, but I'm ready to learn. How do you think you'll feel, cherie?
What you say about them understanding what parenthood is all about (by virtue of being parents themselves) is true. I have kept touch with all my children and I would understand if the level of contact would change but I suppose that they will often reach out for advise and guidance. Do you worry about how things could pan out in the long run?

Offline Moonlight

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 03:42:30 AM »
What you say about them understanding what parenthood is all about (by virtue of being parents themselves) is true. I have kept touch with all my children and I would understand if the level of contact would change but I suppose that they will often reach out for advise and guidance. Do you worry about Katy?
I'm not sure who you were referring to, but worrying is like second nature to us parents. We worry all the time even when everything seems to be going well. (In fact, don't we worry more when it goes well?) The topics of discussion change, so the way we connect and support them also change. Sometimes I still feel the urge to protect them from the pressure, but they should handle some things on their own.

Offline EllieM

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:32:22 AM »
I think that the thing you will always have in common is family. So our family visits (however rare they are) revolve mainly about that. I don't try to keep up with my children's hobbies, but we do talk about it. I tell them about what I've been doing and they tell me what they've been doing. It's just about sharing and being happy for one another.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:32:22 AM »

Offline Katy

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:40:59 AM »
My daughter is pregnant, and she's already looking to me for advice about mothering. I think she's both excited and anxious about her baby. I bet she'll understand a lot more about how I felt raising her as she raises her own child. I think it'll bring us even closer together.

Offline cherie

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 04:37:58 AM »
I agree with all of you, in totality. Things will definitely change, without doubt. The important thing is to ensure that every member of the family understands that family comes first, irrespective of the circumstances. Like Moonlight says, every parent seems programmed to worry but we should be careful not to let it drive us to extreme anxiety.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 04:37:58 AM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms