Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: A "Happy One"??  (Read 3122 times)

Offline FeelingBetter

A "Happy One"??
« on: September 04, 2018, 06:16:47 PM »
 :sign0144:  Just registered after reading a lot of the post here and thought I would add a little. Not sure if this is the right topic or not but you can end up with a 'happy' empty nest. Ok, it might take a while, which did for me but it did come about, finally! I think it was after I finally told myself that I was making myself miserable by worrying all the time (which of course I still do but try to keep it to myself) and that I needed to really put forth the effort to 'get out there' and do things to make myself happy.

As I said it did take a bit but I do believe I'm starting to enjoy life a lot more now. I think it makes hubby happy too because he saw how unhappy I was and couldn't really do much about it.

So I say to all of you, it can work out!! Hang in there and don't give up hope.  :cutecheerleader: [size=78%] [/size]

Offline MaryB

Re: A "Happy One"??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 06:19:42 PM »
 :039: Hello and welcome to the forum!!!   I am so glad to hear this good report!  I think you need to tell us more!   :jiggly smiley:

What are you and hubby doing now that your babies left the nest?

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 06:31:52 PM »
 :welcome:  FeelingBetter and that was a very nice post, thank you! We always like to hear from those that are now enjoying their empty nest. Sounds like it took a while so it is encouraging to those that are still struggling.

Offline FeelingBetter

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »
Thank you ladies for the welcome!  :039: Hubby and I try to do different things together plus he has 'his' things to do and I have mine. :) We love to go the yard sales (well ok, me probably more then him) and see what kind of treasures we can find. Sometimes we just like to stay home and do 'nothing'. Just trying to enjoy life and of course get together with the kids when we can.

Offline Bev1960

• Retired at Last!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 07:29:17 AM »
Welcome FeelingBetter! It is good to hear from those that are finally getting through this empty nest phase. I think it gives hope for those that may still be struggling. It can be really hard for some and take a while. Encouragement always helps. Looking forward to seeing you around the boards.  :039:

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »
Hi just doing a big Welcome to you FeelingBetter! Looking forward to seeing more post from you!  :039:

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 09:44:15 PM »
Welcome to the group, FeelingBetter!  Thanks for sharing that positive message.  May I ask how you stopped yourself from worrying?  Was there something you did to put it away, or did the feeling just naturally fade with time?  My only child started college and it's been rough for us. 

Offline Bewitched

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 01:11:24 AM »
Welcome to the site, FeelingBetter!

You're right about a "happy" empty nest taking some effort. At first, I thought it was something that was going to just happen one day with little to no effort on my part. It took longer than I'd like to admit for me to figure out that I had to actively try and change my mindset. Even now, I still struggle sometimes. But I don't think I can ever completely turn it off. I'm okay with that.

Thanks for the positivity! I look forward to reading more from you.  :victory:

Offline Katy

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 04:53:44 AM »
I believe it does get better, too. I believe it's a combination of time to adjust to a new, normal," and effort. What do you enjoy doing, FeelingBetter? I really love to read, so I'm going to check out a couple of local book clubs.

My nest won't be empty for too much longer, though. My mother, who is in the early stages of Alzheimer's, is coming to live with us. I imagine that I'll go through the empty nest emotions again when she has to go to a nursing home eventually, but hopefully that won't be for a while.

Offline FeelingBetter

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
Thanks for the kind welcome! This seems to be such a friendly group. :039:  I think it's good to share some positive feelings, hopefully it can help those that are still struggling (and it really can be a struggle!) to see that it can get better.

We did have to work at it a bit, it's just natural to worry about your kids when they are out on their own. But just keep telling yourself things will be ok, it is the way it is suppose to be.

We started doing a lot of things together that we hadn't in a long time and it seems one day we just realized that we weren't worrying as much as we use to. Can't say that we don't still worry some but it is a lot better and we are enjoying ourselves.

Hang in there everyone!

Offline Bewitched

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 11:47:56 PM »
It's always good to spread the positivity around! There doesn't seem to be enough of it these days. It's one of the reasons I love this site so much.

What kind of stuff have you and your partner been doing to refocus? My hubby and I are always looking for new ideas!

Offline cherie

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 03:58:56 AM »
You have actually put it out here very precisely; that we all go through this phase, and what makes a whole lot of difference is how we transition from feelings of emptiness to how we actually embrace it and make this a 'happy' experience. This is something we struggled with until we somewhat found a balance.

Offline Moonlight

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 11:05:30 AM »
Thank you for the positive vibe! I still need it even though I've had my nest empty for a while. Are you keep the communication open with the kids? We used to worry a lot as well, but the constant communication helped to convince us that they were doing better than we thought. Now we can even feel not as restless when they don't contact us as often as before!

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms