Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Battling loneliness  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Gerri

Battling loneliness
« on: August 30, 2018, 04:05:39 AM »
What do you guys do to battle loneliness? I do have some friends that I do some things with but I often find myself feeling lonely more than ever. I know there are people I can talk to at any time but for some reason I am going through a phase where any time I am by myself for over 24 hours, I start feeling lonely.

Offline Sweet

Re: Battling loneliness
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »
You are not alone in this battle because I feel the same way. It seems like loneliness always win whenever we are alone. We can truly know who our friends are during these times because they can feel how we feel, and they try to comfort us.

Offline Katy

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 02:59:24 AM »
Gerri,
I'm so sorry you are struggling with loneliness so much. You are definitely not alone. I get lonely sometimes even though my husband is around at night.

My kitty helps me a lot. I can talk to her, and while she doesn't respond like a human, she seems to listen, and she always offers comforting purrs when I'm feeling particularly bad.

Sometimes I find that going out to a coffee shop and just being around other people is helpful. Even if I'm just sitting at a table alone drinking my coffee while reading a book, I feel less lonely.

Please hang in there. And know you are not alone in this.

Offline cherie

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 06:52:43 AM »
Well, you are definitely not alone in this. Have you also realized that you can still be lonely, even while in the midst of people? You have to be around people you are used to; people you share a common purpose with, in order to really overcome this feeling. When this feeling creeps in and I am unable to meet up with friends, I opt to call and talk to a few folks.

Offline littleone

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 07:02:08 AM »
What do you guys do to battle loneliness? I do have some friends that I do some things with but I often find myself feeling lonely more than ever. I know there are people I can talk to at any time but for some reason I am going through a phase where any time I am by myself for over 24 hours, I start feeling lonely.
I can feel disconnected and lonely even when I'm working or talking to people. When it happens, I take a break and try to understand what I really want or need. The answer can be calling my friends or listening to healing music on my own. I know it's strange that you can solve loneliness by doing something on your own, but it works for me.

How is everyone doing these days?

Offline EllieM

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 10:36:58 AM »
This is a toughie when we age. People kind of come and go I've learned. I have never had a friend that I've been friends with more longer than 10 years. Eventually they move on, move away or move out. I try to go to friends' parties so I meet other friends that may stay in your life a bit longer too. Finding a hobby outside of the house helps too!

Offline cookielady

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 03:28:33 PM »
Gerri, I'm so sorry that you struggle with this. I, too, struggle with this, especially with the holidays approaching. I'll tell you what helped me the most: going back to school! Yep, it's never too late for that! I've met some wonderful people and it's kept me SOOO busy! Hang in there and keep posting. These wonderful ladies (and dads, too) will always have your back and you can always count on this group for advice and a shoulder to cry on.

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 03:41:29 PM »
Hello cookielady, thanks for stopping in and for your kind compliments about this forum. I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so much better. Sounds like you are very busy. Did you go back to school to get a particular degree or to just take some new courses for your enjoyment?

Hope you have a nice Christmas and we see more of you around here when you have time.  :wavysanta:

:merrychristmassanta:

Offline cookielady

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »
Hey Jeanine! I just wanted to say thanks for keeping this wonderful site up and running and giving us all a chance to voice ourselves and see how everyone's doing! Right now I'm working towards my AA degree-early intervention and inclusion. Basically it's to work with special needs infants, toddlers, and elementary school children. I've worked in special ed for 20 years but with teens, so this will be very different. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and I'll visit/post more often!

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 04:27:26 PM »
Thank you cookielady for the kind words. that sounds like an interesting career you have going. Good for you for going back to school for that degree. Sounds like it will be very interesting and rewarding too.

Looking forward to seeing more of you around here when you have the time.  :wavysanta:

:merrychristmassanta:

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms