Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Marrying An Influential Person  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Yosita

Marrying An Influential Person
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:23:08 PM »
My niece, who is like a daughter to me after her mom died, became distant to me after she got married. She married the son of an influential person in the next town. She was open to me when they were still sweethearts. Do you think she's ashamed of us because we are not wealthy or influential?

Offline MaryB

Re: Marrying An Influential Person
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »
 Hi Yosita!  No, absolutely not!  She is on her honeymoon!!!!  haha They are so absorbed in each other they cant see anyone else right now. 
Maybe you can call or text her to just let her know you are thinking of her.   :big hug smiley sign:

Offline ava

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 12:49:53 AM »
Well, I think she is head over heels the person she got married to, but still, this doesn’t justify her failure to keep in touch, more frequently. In such instances, you can only hope that the husband is treating her well. Are you close to him?

Offline Gerri

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:21:37 AM »
I would try talking to her. If you don't, you will never know. I definitely wouldn't accuse her of anything, maybe just mention other differences other than money, because that is a sensitive topic anyway. I can imagine it makes you feel a little uneasy, but I am sure your daughter isn't ashamed of you or where she comes from.

Offline Yosita

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:59:06 AM »
Thank you for the positive outlook about my niece. I'm not close to him, but he is a good person as far as I know. She told me stories about him, and that was how I get to know him. I will send her a message instead of calling her so that she won't be alarmed.

Offline Joann

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 05:22:18 AM »
Let us know how things work out. I am sure she will be understanding and you will have a good outcome with her. I can't imagine she is ashamed of where she came from. There's probably just a lack of communication about the topic.

Offline Yosita

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »
Hi Joann. We finally talked and she told me the reason for her silence. She was offended by my gesture last time they visited us. I never knew about it until she told me. I'm glad we worked it out and I've learned my lesson to filter my thoughts and opinions before saying it.

Offline Katy

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 05:05:53 AM »
I'm so glad you were able to work things out with your niece! Sometimes those we love get upset with us, and we just don't know until we ask. I hope that the two of you will be able to talk more now that things have been resolved.

Offline Yosita

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 10:55:41 PM »
I'm more cautious this time and I'm embarrassed for what I did. I will lay low for some time and let time heal the wound. She can call me anytime though.

Offline mkendrick

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 03:10:17 AM »
The best thing for you to do is reach out. Remember that communication is a two-way street. If you are feeling that she isn't starting as many (or any) conversations recently that can be explained by a huge life change going on for her. She is undoubtedly being surrounded by new faces that might all be trying to form a relationship with her which takes its toll on anyone's time. Add that to the newly weds likely wanting to be alone during the first few months and I'd bet you have your answer! That being said, as I mentioned before, communications is a two-way street. Simply reach out to her and talk!

Offline adanna

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 01:00:38 PM »
Although this post is already a bit old, I just want to say when you are married with someone influential, you can get busier than you imagine. Your life can be different than before because you have a lot of social events to attend, for example. Of course I think she should reach out to you more often but sometimes she might not be as free as she was before.

Offline LeeAnn

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
In addition to having a busier life, maybe there are now more things she feels she has to keep to herself. If she shares a little too much as an influential person's spouse, that could affect both of their reputations.

Offline adelyn

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 11:29:22 AM »
Hey Yosita, I'm just glad that you were able to talk and get her to express her displeasure at whatever happened. She may have found it hard to talk especially since she is much younger. This goes on to show how people perceive things differently and how what we say at times may be interpreted differently.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms