Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: My Daughter's Verbally Abusive Boyfriend (An Update)  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Marie

My Daughter's Verbally Abusive Boyfriend (An Update)
« on: August 18, 2018, 05:37:42 AM »
My daughter finally called me tonight!  I was thrilled to hear from her.  She apologized for not being in touch.  She said she just needed some time to think things over. 

After I confronted her boyfriend on his behavior, she went home, and they talked about it some.  Her boyfriend said that he knows on some level that talking to my daughter the way he does is inappropriate, but that's how his dad talked to his mom.  It's what he grew up with, so he's repeating it.  She says it seems like he'd like to change how he communicates, so they are going to check out a couples counselor to help them learn how to communicate more effectively. 

This is such great news.  I just hope he's genuine in his desire to want to learn new ways of interacting in relationships.

Offline MaryB

Re: My Daughter's Verbally Abusive Boyfriend (An Update)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »
Wow!  This is awesome!  I have to admit I was sitting here holding my breath for you!!!!   :13:

Offline Gerri

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
Oh I am glad to read this, Marie! Good to hear that they are taking steps to fix things in their relationship and I pray to God that it will help them move forward. It's a very brave step to take to go to couple's counseling!

Offline ava

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 12:35:29 AM »
I quite agree with the fact that we (almost unconsciously) pick most habits from our parents. A lot of what we say or do stems from what our parents used to say or do. So in a way, I buy his claim that he picked this from his parents. It is even better that he is willing to change for the better.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms