Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Different Idealogy  (Read 2265 times)

Offline MomOfTwo

Different Idealogy
« on: August 15, 2018, 02:31:23 AM »
My son who lives in another country has somewhat taken the belief system in that country. I have no problem with that, but there are some things that don't feel right because of our different beliefs. We love our children no matter what they decide in life.
When do we give unsolicited advice that what they are doing might hurt them?

Offline MerryMe

Re: Different Idealogy
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 09:08:30 AM »
I agree with you that we should protect our children from getting hurt. However, there are times that we cross the line between protecting them and giving their freedom. In regards to the belief system, I wouldn't enforce my beliefs on him even if he grew up with the beliefs in our home.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »
You cant anyway,  they wont listen.  I raised my son to be a Christian to be the peace maker and now he has crossed over and finds pleasure in fighting.    :dunno:   All we can do is pray

Offline MomOfTwo

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 08:59:36 AM »
I agree that praying is sometimes the last resort. I remember the times when they were younger, and they would obey us because we are the parents. It was easier in those days to make choices for them.

Offline Joann

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 04:00:46 AM »
I don't think it is your place to give unsolicited advice unless they are doing things that are morally wrong. I think we all know in our heart of hearts the difference between right and wrong, and I think that religion is a dangerous topic because it can blur morals. As long as he is living in peace and not hurting anybody with his ideology, I'd say just leave it alone.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 07:50:57 AM »
That's just it though,  I treat people different according to how close I am to them.  Like I dont give my opinion to people that I am not close to, so my own child or best friends,  I do say what's on my mind, and accept they do the same to me.  We can banter back and forth, but now with these grown children it seems we are to stop talking freely and treat them more like the neighbor down the street.  That's what it seems like in my house anyway.  I miss the days of our open conversations.  I understood how he was thinking and he knew how I was thinking, back then. 

Offline Yosita

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »
We can share our beliefs so long as we don't force them to do it. I have a feeling that most of us here grew up in a time when our parents had the final say. We know now that the kind of discipline we got was for our own good, but we did not like it when we were younger.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms