Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: When you want to break the silence but can't!  (Read 132 times)

Offline ava

When you want to break the silence but can't!
« on: August 13, 2018, 02:47:07 PM »
Whenever my children go quiet for a long time, I always assume that the busy lifestyle has taken a toll on them, or that they are trying to work out something, on their own. Have you ever been in a situation where there was so much silence that you felt a strong urge to break it? What was your reason for not doing so?

Offline Marie

Re: When you want to break the silence but can't!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 04:06:56 AM »
I confronted my daughter's boyfriend about his disrespectful behavior toward her, and she hasn't spoken to me in a few weeks now.  I hate the silence, but in this situation, I want to give her her space and let her work it out on her own.  I know that she will come around sooner or later.  It really pains me, of course.  I love her so much, but I know I can't push her, or I'll end up doing more harm than good in this situation.

Offline MomOfTwo

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 11:50:26 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Marie. Sometimes, we take the harder route of being a concerned parent rather than seeing our children getting hurt.
My sons talk to us every now and then. We don't set schedules for us to talk, so I don't see a situation as my sons being quiet when we haven't talked for some time.

Offline Joann

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 01:15:26 AM »
I try not to, because I know my children have busy lives of themselves. They're at an age where they have a very active social life, children of their own, so they simply have more things to do on a daily basis whereas I have so much time on my hands, it may seem like I haven't talked to my children in forever, when it maybe has only been a week. Keep patience, maybe shoot them a text message asking how they're doing or write down what you've been up to, so you can leave it up to them to contact you.

Offline littleone

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 08:32:26 AM »
Keep patience, maybe shoot them a text message asking how they're doing or write down what you've been up to, so you can leave it up to them to contact you.
This is what I usually do. When our son traveled with his friends, we sent him a photo of his favorite food we made at home. That got the conversation rolling in a more casual tone. We tried to avoid bluntly asking what he was up to all the time.
He has never left home for a very long time, though, so I think the college will be our biggest challenge yet.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms