Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Keeping active with bad joints  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Gerri

Keeping active with bad joints
« on: August 07, 2018, 06:51:49 AM »
Hi everyone! Ever since my children left the house I have been trying to keep in shape as much as I can, although it is quite difficult. I try walking outside every day but I am looking for some other activities that I can do by myself or with my friend that are fun. Keep in mind, I have bad knees so I can't do extensive workouts. What do you do to keep active?

Offline ava

Re: Keeping active with bad joints
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 04:16:10 AM »
I was in a similar situation a few years back and it took me some time to find the right company. I avoid the evening outs as much as I can. Besides swimming, I will sometimes walk or play chess, depending on the availability of time. Sorry about your knees and I hope you find someone to tag along, soon.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 04:16:10 AM »

Offline Sweet

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
Walking might hurt the knees no matter how slow we walk. I recommend walking in a waist-deep swimming pool. I also suggest that you ask your physician about the best activity that will not hurt your knee.

Offline Katy

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 05:40:16 AM »
Have you thought about joining a water exercise class for people with arthritis?  You don't necessarily have to have arthritis to join. All you usually need is a note from your doctor stating that you would benefit from the water exercise class.  The class goes through low-impact exercises.  You can meet some new people there, too, and it's kind of fun. 

Offline Gerri

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
Thank you all so much for your kind suggestions! I think I might try going to the local pool. I know they have some group activities so I should check that out. Hopefully that will be easy on the knees and I may meet some people there as well.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »

Offline Joann

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »
I've recently picked up swimming with 2 friends of mine and I really enjoy it. My doctor actually recommended it to me because I have bad joints as well. I also like cycling when I go to the gym (which isn't often, let's be honest).

Offline Sweet

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
Speaking of hurting knees, I've learned that jogging is the worst exercise because the knees will take the whole weight of the body. It is better to run or do a quick walk than jogging.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms