Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Critical parents  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Quiet Abode

Critical parents
« on: July 29, 2018, 07:59:26 AM »
My father passed away a few years ago, but I still have my mother.  She lives in the same area and I visit her most everyday.  I take her meals, take her to appointments and to run errands, and help her around the house.  She needs the extra support and can be demanding.  I'm happy to do those things for her, but she's so darn critical of me.  I often feel like I can't do anything right.  Do your parents ever tear you apart?  How do you handle it?

Empty Nest Moms

Critical parents
« on: July 29, 2018, 07:59:26 AM »

Offline Henley

Re: Critical parents
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 02:43:53 PM »
My mother used to criticize me a lot when I was younger. Fortunately for me, she's gotten softer with age. I'm sorry that you have to deal with it, especially when you're doing so much for her. I used to try and put a positive spin on her critiques by justifying that she was just saying things because she wanted the best for me or whatever. It didn't always work nor was it always applicable. Sometimes, it's easy to realize that they're (unjustly) taking out their negative feelings on you. I'm sure your mother is feeing impotent in her state and that might make her feel like she has control over something. I don't know. It's not a good excuse by any means, but maybe looking at it that way will help you?

Offline Quiet Abode

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
She's always been critical of me, but when my father was alive, it was bearable because he was the buffer.  I'm going to try looking at it as though she just wants the best for me like you suggested. If she truly thinks I'm not doing enough for her then she'll have to call my sister for assistance or she'll need to hire some outside help.  I just need to stick to that without feeling guilty. 

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »

Offline Henley

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 07:34:12 PM »
It's always at least a little easier to handle when you have a buffer. I hope my suggestion works for you. Sometimes a positive mindset can do wonders, but sometimes it's not enough. I'm wishing you the best of luck! Calling your sister in might be a good idea too, especially if you think she could be a good buffer or that some time away from it all might do you some good.

Offline Katy

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 05:48:02 AM »
I'm so sorry you are going through this.  You are doing such an excellent job helping your mother out.  Some people just never learn to appreciate others. 

My mother is very critical, too.  Nothing ever seems to be good enough for her.  It can really get you down.  It's really difficult to set boundaries with parents, but maybe you can try to tell her that all the criticism hurts your feelings and that she'll need to find someone else to help her if she can't stop being critical of you so much.  I'm sure she wants the best for you, but all that negativity really takes a toll.  Please take good care of yourself.

Offline MerryMe

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
My grandmother has a similar attitude to what Quiet Abode described about her mother. She complains about everything that my mother has been doing to help her. My mother sometimes felt that her endeavor is not needed by my grandmother.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms