Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Simple Life  (Read 2607 times)

Offline MomOfTwo

Simple Life
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:45:46 PM »
I saw the category "Remembering When" and it immediately struck me how our lives today is very different from the life we had when we were still young. I was born during the peak of the cold wars and my parents were always on their toes, especially during the Cuban crisis. However, even though we lived in a time when nukes can be dropped anytime, life goes on in a very simple manner. I miss those days, not the nukes though.

Offline MaryB

Re: Simple Life
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 11:45:21 AM »
I know what you are saying.  I feel like the simpler times were happier too.  You cant be in debt and be relaxed and with today's lifestyles the only way to do it all,  a lot of the time, is to go in debt.  Yes sitting on the porch in the cool evenings was a pleasure lost on a lot of young people now. 
I still sit out, for what it's worth (when it's not July and August in Fl)   :039:

Offline haidyl

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »
Life was much slower back in the day and it is interesting to notice that almost everything has changed now. I would love to hear what our kids will say about life, when they will be our age. My hope is that the economy will become sustainable and help people to rise beyond debt. Is this achievable?

Offline MaryB

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 02:41:48 PM »
It matters more if we live within our means than how much we make, although the more money the more luxuries right!   But I would hope they will learn to live within their means.  I taught my son that, and when he left my house had a good amount of money in the bank,  fast forward he comes back broke and does not seem to know how to want something without getting it!  I dont know what happened but he is grown and does not want my opinion now!   :(

Offline MerryMe

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 11:18:40 PM »
fast forward he comes back broke and does not seem to know how to want something without getting it!  I dont know what happened but he is grown and does not want my opinion now!   :(
The culture of Millennials right now is "we deserve everything good" even though they did not work for it. The media is a big factor for this problem because they focus on students who are yelling at teachers/administrators and quoting the 2nd amendment to disrespect other people.
As for the simple life, I missed it too. I miss the days when we can have picnics without the distraction of mobile phones.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 07:12:35 AM »
fast forward he comes back broke and does not seem to know how to want something without getting it!  I dont know what happened but he is grown and does not want my opinion now!   :(
The culture of Millennials right now is "we deserve everything good" even though they did not work for it. The media is a big factor for this problem because they focus on students who are yelling at teachers/administrators and quoting the 2nd amendment to disrespect other people.
As for the simple life, I missed it too. I miss the days when we can have picnics without the distraction of mobile phones.
Here's what I do not understand though,  is how my son had his head on right but after being with crazy people for 9 years comes back like this.  I am wondering if he can ever be right again!!!!!  It does not help that he is still in daily contact with the X.  Would not be surprised they get back together and all of this for nothing.   :017:

Offline MomOfTwo

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »
I'm glad I'm not alone with how I feel about the difference in life now and before.

MaryB, your son knows and won't forget the values you taught him. It is his choice to listen to other people. I'm not saying you let go of him, but you can respect his life decisions. On the other hand, you all have the right to keep reminding him of what is good and bad. And last, but the most important, is that you tell him how much you care for him.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
Yes, MomOfTwo, you are right.  The relationship is so new since he has been back that it's like walking on egg shells.  He is very angry and bitter and easily set off.  I pray he can brake free from all holds that crazy woman has on him and move on with his life. 

Offline MomOfTwo

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 11:10:30 PM »
I will include your son in my prayers, MaryB if you don't mind. Maybe you need to sit down and talk about this matter before it gets worse. I don't know how you deal with your son, but this is what I do. Letting the children express themselves is a way for them to create trust towards us. I let my son speak his mind and I just listen. Sometimes, a listening ear is all they need to build trust.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 05:20:09 PM »
Oh yes, we have had those sit downs, but you have to remember he is a different man now, after all these years, came back with a chip on his shoulder and anger towards the world, me included.  I cannot offer opinions that he does not want and he is not about to talk to me openly ..... yet.   Working on that.  He has to let his guard down and is, but it isnt open yet.
Thanks for praying and caring.    :big hug smiley sign:

Offline MomOfTwo

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 03:10:34 AM »
Breaking the barrier is the hardest part. I can't offer any advice on that, but I think time will help with that. You have the opportunity to show him your love as long as he stays at your house.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms