Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Because Of Work  (Read 2574 times)

Offline 4am coffee

Because Of Work
« on: January 30, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »
I have been hearing stories of young adults, 18 and 19ish, who leave home sooner than they planned simply because there is no work in the area where they live. They move to a location where they can find work.

Have any of you been hearing this as well? It seems like, yes, the economy is better.......but not better everywhere. Like there are "pockets" in the U.S. that do much better than others.

Offline Quiet Abode

Re: Because Of Work
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 12:03:17 PM »
I've noticed that too.  Back in the day, the kids would often find jobs where their parents worked and those were good union jobs with a pension too.  Now, kids can't rely on solid work, even with a college degree.  It's awful!  I think it hurts the family stability in the long run.  There's no grandparents nearby to help out with the kids and there's no young people to pitch in for the elderly.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 02:30:54 PM »
That's exactly what's happening.  Even my son here has a higher paying warehouse job, and yet it's not enough to be self supporting, not and be in any kind of comfort.  It makes you think about moving where the jobs are..  so how would a person find out where that is?

Offline Katy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 06:54:49 AM »
Quiet Abode, I think you have a good point - kids having to move away for work hurts the family bond. We are lucky that my daughter was able to find work and stay near us, but I hear so many stories where this is not the case. It's really sad.

These days you have to have a college degree to land a good job, but even if you have a degree, the competition is really fierce in some parts of the country. I hope things continue to improve.

Offline JustUs2

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 08:12:59 PM »
That's exactly what's happening.  Even my son here has a higher paying warehouse job, and yet it's not enough to be self supporting, not and be in any kind of comfort.  It makes you think about moving where the jobs are..  so how would a person find out where that is?
I found two links that might give you an idea, MaryB.
https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings/the-100-best-jobs
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-states-for-singles/31667/ (This link might seem silly, but it includes information about the cost of living, the cost of haircuts, the cost of eating out, the rate of unemployment, and all the little things that affect a person's quality of life.) 

Offline MaryB

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »
I found two links that might give you an idea, MaryB.
https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings/the-100-best-jobs
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-states-for-singles/31667/ (This link might seem silly, but it includes information about the cost of living, the cost of haircuts, the cost of eating out, the rate of unemployment, and all the little things that affect a person's quality of life.)
Thank you so much!  This was very nice of you!   :big hug smiley sign:

Offline mkendrick

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »
There are certainly pockets of higher or lower unemployment across the country. I have always believed that someone who wants to work will find something to do wherever they are. That being said, the type of jobs that are available in a smaller town are very different from the vast opportunities in a larger city. It all depends on what industry they are aiming to get into. I think part of what you might be noticing is that it seems easier for people to move far away because they can stay in contact so much easier these days. When I was younger, moving outside of the province was rare and usually meant I wasn't going to see that friend again. It's so much different these days.

Offline MaryB

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 09:29:36 PM »
Oh yes, the world is wide open now with the Internet.  I was asking for my son, since we are retired, but he drives a fork lift or runs presses for a living.  Here it is low pay, and although he has came a long way in a year, to pay down his bills that he acquired thru his marriage,  it would be really hard for him to live on his  own with any kind of comfort.  I would not tell him that but I am thinking that.  I had a preacher that preached once, it is not what you make but learning to live within your  means, and that is what I believe too, but my son's thinking has changed and I cant see how he can manage on his own now, not making what he makes on this job.  There is a new warehouse opening in June, so if he hangs on till then there is hope. 

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms