Empty Nest Moms

Author Topic: Daughter Became Distant After Getting Married  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Katy

Daughter Became Distant After Getting Married
« on: August 07, 2018, 05:27:25 AM »
My daughter, who is 25 years old, lived with me until she got married at 24 years of age.  We were very close.  We shared everything. 

After she got married, though, she became distant.  She doesn't call or visit much these days.  Initially, I figured she was just enjoying married life and was busy unpacking, setting up her new home, and enjoying being with her husband.  However, she's been married a year now, and she's still pretty distant. 

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this the way it will always be or do kids generally come around again after being married a while?  I really miss my long talks with my daughter and sharing so much of our lives with one another.

Offline ava

Re: Daughter Became Distant After Getting Married
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 02:39:46 PM »
This scenario is a unique because it could signify a lot of different things. Your daughter could be slowly adjusting to the marriage or is utterly confused about how to relate to you, with the husband now in picture. I would first find out if she is enjoying the marriage and from there, find ways of helping come out of the silence.

Offline Katy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 03:46:48 AM »
Good idea, ava.  Maybe she feels like she can't come to me for advice now that she's married.  I've always told her that I'm here for her, but she does like to do things on her own when she can.

I'll give her a call and check in on her.  Maybe she and I could go to lunch and chat for a while or something.  Maybe if I share some about our marriage, it will inspire her to share about hers, too.

Offline Sweet

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:43:20 AM »
You can give her a simple call and ask about anything that isn't so serious. She will gradually talk about things that matter to her. Taking her to lunch is a good idea so you can catch up with the things happening in your lives.

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms