Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: meal plan and recipes for 2  (Read 812 times)

Offline Mom56

meal plan and recipes for 2
« on: May 12, 2018, 12:30:54 AM »
i have lost all interest in cooking:  i used to create a meal plan, to accommodate the weather(need hot or cold day meal, crockpot or bbq), list ingredients in order to grocery shop;  our grocery bill has been the same because we buy/eat the SAME dishes- pasta, tacos, too much red meat has now been replaced by so much chicken and even fish(shrimp dish, panko cod. i've pinned and researched different sites for variations.- just to give you an idea of how stale our diets have grown:  every 2 weeks(our grocery shopping) we eat the same dishes. i've asked other"emptynester friends what meals they "eat for two"- the responses have been fromMAINLY"leftovers"(but what STARTS as leftovers?) to "i don't cook". we also buy frozen pizza for those days when we don't feel like cooking  and need something real quick and easy. grilled cheese sandwiches is the other option.

hubby has been monitoring his salt intake and portion control for weight loss.  we eat the main course as the meal,itself.except for fishWITH rice. any suggestions for side dishes so we can actually eat a "balanced meal"?

HELP

Empty Nest Moms

meal plan and recipes for 2
« on: May 12, 2018, 12:30:54 AM »

Offline Kidless

Re: meal plan and recipes for 2
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:48:38 AM »
As long as you have the meat cooked you can add all kinds of vegetables for a balanced meal.  Once a week I make a big batch of Cole slaw to keep in the fridge.  It can be added to your plate of fish, beef or chicken.  Open a can of green beans and you have a balanced meal.  We also go out to eat at least once a week.  That keeps things interesting. 

Offline Beth75

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 02:53:05 AM »
I find myself falling into similar monotony with my meals though there was a time in which I was much more creative. Still, I have a few quick and easy ways of adding some more balance and dimension to meals. My husband has high blood pressure so we already try to be wary of salt. I like to compensate for salt with lots of other flavours and seasonings (garlic is a big winner here).

For veggies:
-I try to buy those salad bags with all the components just ready to mix together. You can eat it like an appetizer or as a side for the main meal. They're also typically enough for two servings so you won't have to worry about leftover salad going soft in the fridge.
-I also like to throw in frozen veggies with whatever I'm making. They're just as good as fresh once you cook them and it's so easy to just toss them in with your baked meats or just sauté them with some seasonings and just eat it as a side dish. It will take about five minutes on the stove once you've thawed them.
-Making soups is also a good way to get a balanced meal. I've been doing this little trick to sneak more vegetables in. Basically I take the vegetables I want and blend them up till their thick and I use that as sort of a base for the soup. It adds a little bit of thickness as well. It's really good for stews.
-We also started eating chickpeas some time ago. Just get a can and drain it. You won't need to salt it, just add a little bit of chopped onions and a squeeze of lime and you have an interesting little side dish.

For carbs:
-I like to go for the boxed mashed potatoes. I add a little garlic and black pepper with a spoon full of butter.
-We eat rice a lot so I have many variations of rice such as with peas or black beans. My favourite, simple rice is Pilaf with a citrusy component. Basically, cook the rice in some kind of broth (I like chicken) and add a bit of lemon and herbs to it and then just let it cook like normal. It's excellent and not much harder than making plain rice.
-Semi-homemade garlic break can be good as well. When the store has baguettes I like to pick up a few. All you have to do is halve them, put your own garlic butter/olive oil on it and toast it in the oven for a few minutes and you get delicious bread.

I realize this got a lot longer than expected. I hope you get some inspirations though. Maybe try looking up recipes like Indian or Caribbean food and challenge yourself to try something new.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 02:53:05 AM »

Offline 4am coffee

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 03:51:39 PM »
Without knowing exactly what you eat, have you tried buying things you never have bought before? Eating things you typically have never eaten before?

And sometimes, if you shop around, eating out can be as healthy and have the same weight on the pocketbook as eating in.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 03:51:39 PM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms