Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

Our Picture Gallery!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moby Dick - what a struggle!  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Pat

Moby Dick - what a struggle!
« on: April 22, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
I was led to read "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville after hearing a discussion abut the book on the radio. And what a struggle it's been for me. Not really a pleasure at all. I know that I read it as a child, but it must have been an adapted version for children. Moby Dick is known as one of America's greatest novels but I have to admit to skipping pages of narrative that just did not make sense to me. I think all those sailors were on some sort of hallucinogenic drug.  :cutecheerleader:

It is full of literary and cultural allusions. There's lots of symbolism that I don't 'get' and philosophical discussions galore between the crew. On the other hand, the adventure of whale hunting in the 19th century is interesting as is the very detailed descriptions of how each part of a whale's body is processed.

BUT I can't say I'd recommend it if you want an easy read. This morning I finished it and it was a great relief.

Offline Treasure

Re: Moby Dick - what a struggle!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 05:41:38 PM »
If you read it as a child, I bet it was an abridged version. It's definitely a difficult book to get through. I find that a lot of the classics that the "experts" recommend tend to be like that. Some of them are wonderful reads though! I love looking for symbolism in books. It can be challenging at first when you're just getting started, but you'll start to see them everywhere soon enough. This is a great online symbolism dictionary.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 05:41:38 PM »

Offline Berta

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 05:40:16 AM »
What a coincidence! I struggled through Moby Dick about 15 years ago when my daughter had it on a school reading list. The experience left me pretty traumatised! @Pat I admire you for reading it when you didn't have to do so.

Thank you for the link to the symbolism dictionary @Treasure - I looked up "Whale" and the belly of a whale is a symbol of the realm death and rebirth and that emerging from a whale is a symbol of initiation into new life.

I do like the symbolism dictionary though and shall bookmark it to dip into again.

Offline Kidless

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 06:41:16 AM »
Moby Dick is a tough book to read.  You certainly showed more perseverance than I would have.  I would have quit reading long before you did.  I tried to read Uncle Tom's Cabin once in the original dialect.  It was hilarious to hear me try and pronounce some of those words.  I guess the hardest thing I have ever read is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.  I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 06:41:16 AM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms