Empty Nest Moms

Netrition

Netrition - 
The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

You can find many Low Carb products here!

Dixie USA has many to choose from and a lot of them are very tasty! I've Tried them myself and all are pretty simple to make!

.....Looking to make some cake? Try these....Dixie USA Carb Counters Cupcake & Frosting Mix

.....How about a really good Cinnamon Sugar Substitute? Then you may want to try this one! Sans Sucre Cinnamon Sugar Substitute

.....Need a great zero carb sweetner? Try the the 0.5 size! Last a long time.....EZ-Sweetz Liquid Sucralose

.....This is a great Brand to check out for a large variety of low carb products....Bob's Red Mill

.....And another great Brand with lots of low carb products to check out is.....NOW

You can always do a 'search' for other health foods and such while your there so be sure to check them out!

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did you start a new career after the last child left the nest?  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Cookie

My youngest went off to college last fall and I'm having a hard time coping with my empty nest. I think I just have way too much free time on my hands. I need to get my idle hands busy and occupy my mind with something else, like maybe a new career. I've been a stay-at-home mother since my first child was born, so it's been a long time since I've been in the workforce. Did any of you start a new career after your children left? Did you do part-time or full-time work? Are you glad you did? Was it a difficult transition? I'll be honest, I'm worried about keeping up with (or rather, catching up with) technology.

Empty Nest Moms

Offline cherie

Re: Did you start a new career after the last child left the nest?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
Truth be told, handling that transition is never easy. The day any child leaves heralds a new era that can easily throw parents into a sea of confusion. I left formal employment many years back to concentrate on raising the children and then started a business later on. It picked well but I had to halt it for a while. So in a way, I have always either been a part-time of full-time stay-at-home mother but I never considered starting a new career. I am sure a lot has changed in the current working environment.

Offline Treasure

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »
I didn't start a career once my children left, but it's something I've seriously been considering lately. I love the idea of starting my own business like Cherie, but I honestly wouldn't even know where to start. I don't really know where to start with finding a new career either. I've been thinking about checking out some local bookstores and seeing if I can find something there. I think I would like to start off with part-time, ease my way back into it. What are you thinking about doing, Cookie?

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »

Offline Berta

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 06:30:44 AM »
This is a great question. I didn't actually start a new career but I had to make some career changes because I moved house to be closer to my daughter. I'm a hairdresser and was the senior stylist where I worked before my move. But I found it impossible to find a post at that level in my new town. I did get a general position in a salon but to be honest I'm not settled there. Going from Queen Bee to Drone is a drag! NOT that I'm complaining, it's a job and I'm meeting people.

So, maybe a career isn't necessary. A simple job in a shop or a cafe is a good way to start. If you enter the job market like that you will also have skills to add to your CV in a year or so and an employer to provide references.

Offline Cookie

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:34:31 PM »
Cherie, I had a feeling the transition wouldn't be a walk in the park. I adore the idea of opening a side business and it's something I'd considered doing a few years ago. Even though my tech skills are far from superior, I've become pretty proficient with Photoshop when it comes to make invitations. I've always thought it could be cool to try and open an Etsy shop for paper goods like that. However, that wouldn't really do a lot for me on the whole "getting out and being social" front! I think it would be good for me to get out of the house.

Treasure, working in a local bookstore would be a lot of fun, I'm sure! I wish we had something like that around here. All of our bookstores seem to close pretty quickly.

Berta, I'd imagine that career changes can be just as crazy as starting a new career! It must be frustrating to have to work your way up the totem pole again. At least you get to be closer to your daughter though! I'm sure that helps make things a little more tolerable. How long have you been there? You're right, I might be getting ahead of myself by thinking I need to start a new career. It might be better to just dip my toes in first and gain some marketable skills.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:34:31 PM »

Offline Berta

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 05:03:54 AM »
@Cookie it's been 5 years since I moved, so I'm quite well established and integrated in my new town. I've even adopted an elderly dog and that has led me to meeting more people. I'm working part-time in the salon and have two customers I visit in their home : one elderly and one handicapped. They both want me to start taking the dog with me. Now I'm thinking, for the longer term, of being a self-employed mobile hairdresser with a therapy dog. This is something that would never have occured to me before - it has just sort of happened.

The transition period is hard and I hope you find something fulfilling and rewarding. You seem to be very open to the idea and with that mindset you may well find that the "thing", whatever it is, will present itself to you. Who knows, maybe somebody will open a bookshop near you?

Offline Almost empty

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
 :sign0144:
Thanks for this exchange. I don’t often hear from others with this struggle since I’m surrounded by people with jobs or retirees. It’s relaxing and freeing to hear from those who continue at home with some balance and availability. I’m not sure what I’ll do when I’m officially an empty nester next year. My husband and I have already been working on picking up hobbies and connecting differently. I’ve always been a bit codependent though. I hope to gain more independent confidence when that time comes while maintaining a relational connection with my husband. It’s hard for me to balance. I tend to immerse myself in volunteer work and am rarely available or I become a hermit and look to him too much  which is the phase I’m in now. I’m looking for inspiration to get me to a healthy middle.

Offline momof3boys

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 05:23:16 PM »
 :039: Hello I just wanted to share even though my nest is not completely empty I started selling online. I was planning on selling children's used clothing but do adults things too. I needed something to do with my time.

Offline Jeanine

• Have faith, it WILL get better!
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Momof3boys. Sounds like you have something to keep you busy especially after that last one leaves the nest. Have fun with it.  :039:

Offline EllieM

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 08:10:56 AM »
I have to say that after my nest emptied, I started thinking about all the possible career options and all the things I wish I would have done. For me personally, it was something I did out of boredom, and not knowing what to do with my life. But I think that it's never too late to learn something new. I just personally don't know how realistic it is to start building a new career after age 50-60.

Empty Nest Moms

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 08:10:56 AM »

Copyright © Empty Nest Moms